Mountain Project Logo

Did Mountain Hardwear rip me off?


Mark Wyss · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 255

I have not really put any of my MH stuff to really good use yet but I have no complaints so far. My Alchemy jacket seems pretty solid. However, I have also had excellent service from Marmot. This was a long time ago so I can't really speak to how Marmot's service is today. I bought a thunderlight jacket and after 6 years or so it started to delaminate. They no longer made the jacket anymore so I was given a $325 credit to the store.

I also have a pair of primaloft split-finger gauntlet gloves they gave me $125 credit for as well because some of the inside stitching was coming undone (after 10 years).

With this money I was able to get myself a new tent and bag. In addition when I called them up to follow up on the progress of the gloves they said they were unable to fix them. Since the gloves were no longer any use to them they went ahead and sent them back to me. So not only a credit for the gloves, I got the things back and am still using them!

Great servce and that is one hell of a way to stand behind your product.

TWK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 160

I had a problem with an inexpensive ultralight 1 1/2 person Eureka! 3-season tent. The problem was entirely my fault. Eureka! sent me a 50% off coupon for up to four items of my choice. New tent, new day-and-a-half pack, car camping cot, all at 50% off.

And Eureka! is somehow often thought of as an inferior purveyor of mountaineering/camping equipage? They may not have a lot of what you want, but they stand behind what they've got.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800
climbskihike wrote:By the way, don't believe what you read on Yelp. Yelp is a very crooked business, to the point of extortion. 1. If you own a business they call you all the time trying to get you to pay to get your listing at the top. 2. If you do not pay them, guess what, you drop to the bottom on page 5 or 23 or whatever. 3. If you do not pay them, they remove positive reviews 4. If you do pay them, they remove negative reviews. Look it up on google. Yelp is bullshit.
I can confirm this. My son runs a restaurant in the Boston area and said the Yelp folks are always shaking him down for money.
Georgeand · · Kalispell · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 0
Mark Wyss wrote:I have not really put any of my MH stuff to really good use yet but I have no complaints so far. My Alchemy jacket seems pretty solid. However, I have also had excellent service from Marmot. This was a long time ago so I can't really speak to how Marmot's service is today. I bought a thunderlight jacket and after 6 years or so it started to delaminate. They no longer made the jacket anymore so I was given a $325 credit to the store. I also have a pair of primaloft split-finger gauntlet gloves they gave me $125 credit for as well because some of the inside stitching was coming undone (after 10 years). With this money I was able to get myself a new tent and bag. In addition when I called them up to follow up on the progress of the gloves they said they were unable to fix them. Since the gloves were no longer any use to them they went ahead and sent them back to me. So not only a credit for the gloves, I got the things back and am still using them! Great servce and that is one hell of a way to stand behind your product.
I think a lot of these companies have gotten too big for their britches in the last ten years. Mountain Hardware being just one of them. Marmot being another. Just in the last year I have had the stitching fall out of two pairs of Marmot gloves, the thumbs literally fell off after a few uses! and a pair of rain paints that delaminated after one season. I need quality products, not a company that will constantly replace faulty ones until I get tired of mailing them back.

From now on I am sticking with US/Canada made smaller operations. Westcomb, Melanzana, Verve climbing, Western Mountaineering, for example.
GLD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 83

I've never seen a MH sleeping bag zipper that did work. They're notorious and I've probably seen well over 10 of various models that did.

On the plus side an old jacket of theirs works wonderfully still.

George G wrote:I bought a Monkey Grid Fleece jacket($160!) from MH in November 2012. On the first day, the threads from the zipper flap stitching get caught, pull out, and are cut by the zipper. Within a week the little plastic thing on the end of the zipper breaks off. Within a month the elastic waist drawstring comes detaches. This is poor craft. I have an MH Alchemy soft shell that is going strong after 10 years. Something has slipped. I don't feel inspired to pay for shipping so they can send me another faulty product. I wont likely buy MH again unless I hear they have stepped up their game.
GhaMby Eagan · · Heaven · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 385

I won an urban climber raffle that consisted of 4 Mtnhard wear items (pack, sleeping bag, soft shell and fleece). I was super stoked about it until I actually received the items, the quality of every item was so bad I sold all of it on eBay for less than half of retail. I have only purchased a couple mtn hard wear items since, a pair of winter wander pants that still look good (2 years old) that the zipper quit working on and a wool sweater that itches like a porcupine. I almost exclusively buy Patagonia for my climbing clothes, partly cause they fit better than most brands but also cause I know that they will refund or swap anything I buy from them. For tents I try to buy from REI cause all tents today are garbage or too expensive for me & I know they will replace it, which ill take advantage of if I feel it's legit, like who thin the first few months of use.

Benjamin Beckerich · · portland, oregon · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 325
George G wrote: I think a lot of these companies have gotten too big for their britches in the last ten years. Mountain Hardware being just one of them. Marmot being another. Just in the last year I have had the stitching fall out of two pairs of Marmot gloves, the thumbs literally fell off after a few uses! and a pair of rain paints that delaminated after one season. I need quality products, not a company that will constantly replace faulty ones until I get tired of mailing them back. From now on I am sticking with US/Canada made smaller operations. Westcomb, Melanzana, Verve climbing, Western Mountaineering, for example.
There's no magic bullet. We've got some pretty high-priced local companies claiming to be the solution to the multinational corporation problem in gear... These guys tend to be absolutely terrible about warranty claims. I never did take up any of my complaints with Cilogear, for instance, because after reading uncountable accounts of horrendous customer service, I just put my Cilo gear on ebay and sold out for what I could.

It's a crap shoot. I suspect Columbia Sportswear's Mountain Hardwear buyout probably coincides with some of these issues of the last couple years. I don't know when that happened, just a guess. I recently had some Hydras leak on me.. my customer service experience was annoying, but they basically stood by the product.. I just have to cover shipping to them to get a new pair (and be without the gloves during the interim).
IamDman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15

I had some mountain hardware products a while ago, and the quality was below my standards. The customer service sucked. I don't use their gear anymore, there are better options out there.

Russ Walling · · Overlord @ FishProducts · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,407

UPDATE from page one post!!!

CustServ at MH stuck to their story about me and my Jeri_Curl ruining the rain jacket. They kept the jacket, and I kept my suave looks. I still need a new rain jacket and you can be sure it won't be from MH. Maybe something from Cabellas at 1/3rd the cost and in digital desert camo would be the ticket.

thegoodword · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0

Mountain Hardwear customer service is the worst in the industry. I had a jacket that literally leaked water through MH's proprietary coating. I sent it in at the advice of the Mountain Hardwear customer service representative. I got a call a few weeks later noting that they found a defect in the coating and that I could buy a new jacket at 50% off. I let them know that I shelled out big bucks for the jacket the first time around and that I just wanted a replacement (even if it was an old jacket) or repair. They could not repair it, nor did they have any old stock to replace it with, so I would have to buy one. Selling an already expensive jacket at 50% is not the "full lifetime warranty" they tout. Buy Patagonia or North Face (who will repair the product) but avoid Mountain Hardwear.

GhaMby Eagan · · Heaven · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 385

I just emailed customer service at Columbia with this:

"Does anyone at Columbia ever pay any attention to forum posts like the one on Mountainproject titled "Did Mountain Hardwear rip me off?"

It reminds me of sitting around a campfire near a climbing crag, or talking with people while climbing at the gym, what else are we going to talk about besides how horrible outdoor gear has become over the last few years. You do realize that Mountain Hardwear, along with Montrail, used to be considered quality outdoor gear before you bought them, right?"

I'm sure that they will ignore it, but I do wish that Mtn Hardwear did make quality clothing and gear like they once did, unfortunately they just mass produce garbage and slap their logo on it. I wonder why there are so many Columbia Outlet stores filled to the brim with garbage that my mom won't even wear! Am I the only one that finds it REDICULOUS how much clothing is being produced right now? Think about all of the climbing shops alone across the country with enough clothing to supply each climber in the country with 50 t-shirts each, and not one that I would actually wear! Thankfully this leads to overall happiness and content...

WadeM · · Golden, Co · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 325

Never have been mistreated by Outdoor Research. They are an all around solid company.

Sorden · · inside the Bubble, Colorado · Joined Sep 2003 · Points: 95
wade morris wrote:Never have been mistreated by Outdoor Research. They are an all around solid company.
+1 - recently made my first call to OR, completely took care of me, above and beyond; a very good company.
T Howes · · Bend, OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 5

I've had great experience with MH customer service and horrible experience with MH products. I own a MH tent and the poles broke many times, they kept replacing them for me but the product was crap.

Russ Walling · · Overlord @ FishProducts · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,407

I'm still in the camp that is giving a big thumbs down to Mountain Hardware. It does not come up that much, but when it does I do not recommend them to anyone looking to buy MH gear.

Fucking Jheri_Curl? Really????? That is why my jacket coating came off?

Jheri-Curl, the MH killer

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476
Russ Walling wrote: Fucking Jheri_Curl? Really????? That is why my jacket coating came off?
Their customer service rep really said that? It's like physically impossible for you to keep your Jheri Curl off your clothes. Don't they know that?
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Customer service? What?

Ueli Steck is their sponsored climber..... that's good enough for me. That guy can climb anything not defended by rock throwing sherpas.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,269
"They told me it was from "hair products" or something and not a warranty issue. Fucking hair products???? LIke "Jeri_Curl" or something? "

LMAO!
Christian · · Casa do Cacete · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,486
Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,269
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Did Mountain Hardwear rip me off?"

Log In to Reply