Mountain Project Logo

Baruntse Question

Brian Croce · · san diego, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

To each his own..thats just my personal opinion having used both.

Out of curiosity though...

Is there any way to get a baruntse liner without buying both boots.. as I would defintily agree the liner in the baruntse is much more user friendly and warmer. buying both boots just to chnage the liner is out of my $$$ range though.

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

I think LS is selling them now or you can email Palau and buy them directly.

Brian Croce · · san diego, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

dane..just saw the post in your blog regarding such, except unfortunantly they no longer sell the baruntse liners on sportiva's website, and I dont speak french so cant read much on Palau's site.

they still sell spantik liners on sportiva's site though..go figure...

Chris Graham · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 545

Hey Dane...just tried the Scarpa Jorasses Pro and it felt very similar to the Mont Blanc. Do you know if the Phantom Guide is a narrower boot with less heel slip / volume?

Dane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 562

The Guide will be similar to the Mt. Blanc but I find the Guide/Batura style boots harder to lace your foot in tight.
They are built with the same sole/midsole/last.

The difference in "stiffness" of the Spantik and the Baruntse isn't an opinion. The boots are made differently with the intention of the Spantik having a stiff over all outer boot. Try both skiing and you'll get the idea.

One of the reasons the Spantiks is so stiff is because of the carbon midsole. That required La Sportiva to rocker the sole more so it would be easier to walk in, even on snow. The other is the huge one piece plastic insert sewn to the heel and both sides of the ankle on the Spantik. Makes for a decent ski boot, not all that great for French tecnnique. Slightly better than the plastics. But the up side is they do front point well on enduance ice.

Even La Spotiva had a hard time deciding how to promote the Baruntse. But the one thing it is not, is a "less technical" double boot than the Spantik.

Chris Graham · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 545

Thanks Dane.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Baruntse Question"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.