The 2011-12 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Jon E. · Oct 27, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 25
Anyone been up Quicksilver, Kiener's or Notch Couloir?

David Appelhans · Oct 27, 2011 · Medford, MA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 140
How are things around Long's after this snowstorm? I was thinking of doing something like Keiners or Cables route on Saturday.

Stephen Berwanger · Oct 28, 2011 · Montrose, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 115
DNF TBI AOK4U BYOB4RC

Ryan N · Oct 28, 2011 · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0
WTF?

acouncell · Oct 28, 2011 · Estes Park, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 185
Climbed Dreamweaver this past Monday...no ice but 60-70mph winds near the summit of Meeker. Alexander's was doing quite well before this storm came it, thin but still with more ice than other years I've climbed it. The best ice I saw was at the top of the Loft. Good coverage but little-to-no-ice in Flying Dutchman. I saw tracks going across Broadway as I descended Lambslide; some ice in Fields but mostly mixed. No visible ice in the Notch, just a lot of dry, powdery snow (before this storm). Some interesting lines were in above Peacock Pool and although Columbine Falls was formed there was lots of running water. Some ice was on the slabs on Longs' N. Face but only about 50-60' before deeper snow covered it.

Elsewhere, not much visible ice; some in the Squid but I wouldn't say "in." Got a good look at All Mixed Up after this latest snow, looked non-existent but it's not too late, keeping my fingers crossed. Lots of snow, we got 18-22" in Estes with a little more in the Park. Difficult travel. Ah, and some small, isolated but deep pockets of wind-slab were prevalent before all this snow; stability was questionable on the steepest slopes. That was before we added another 24-30" into the mix. Still plenty of good rock climbing to be had, nothing wrong with the desert this time of year...

Jim Amidon · Oct 28, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 475
Or Joshua Tree where we are, NOT thinking of ice.....

Buff Johnson · Oct 28, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 545
See, that's your problem right there. Why enjoy climbing in the awesome desert when you can get your ass kicked on some shit-conditioned route on the mountain?

Noah McKelvin · Oct 29, 2011 · Colorado Springs · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 760
If your not thinking of ice, then why are ya posting/reading this thread? :) All I can think about is suffering in the alpine and ice. I think something is wrong with me.

Kevin Craig · Oct 29, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 155
AMU looked pretty decent from the road with binocs on Sunday. Appeared climb-able by an appropriately skilled party. Hopefully the added moisture from this storm will help even more.

Also, Notchtop had what appeared to be a pretty good wind load on the slopes below the route and the ice appeared pretty snicey. Doubt that was improved by the storm.

England · Oct 29, 2011 · ? · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 125
Small soft slab from what we could figure out but it took me and my partner (simul soloing) 400+ feet and netted us each a broken ankle. It was a long afternoon of self extraction. This was 2009 BTW.</quote

Take it easy this year bro. The kids want to keep Dad around.... I want Dad to stay around as well. Make sure Mom is doing fine. I want you to be around to raise the young ones. Please be safe!!!!

i
!

Stephen Berwanger · Oct 29, 2011 · Montrose, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 115
Stephen Berwanger wrote:DNF TBI AOK4U BYOB4RC
Ryan N wrote:WTF?
Direct North Face. Thin But In. A OK For You. Bring Your Own Bags For River Crossing!!!!!!!!

Dustin · Oct 29, 2011 · Pagosa Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 160
Stephen Berwanger wrote: Direct North Face. Thin But In. A OK For You. Bring Your Own Bags For River Crossing!!!!!!!!
Hey, what do you mean about the river crossing? Looking to head there tomorrow...

Chris Plesko · Oct 29, 2011 · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 245
Took a stab at flatirons ice Friday early AM but came up empty pretty much. Clear night but a warm front turned 27 deg at 8pm into above freezing before dawn. Had a good time climbing all over the 2nd in boots anyway.

And England I hear ya :) I'll be around to keep a good eye on JJ and maybe take him ice climbing if he's into it. Just got him his first puffy.

Cole Phinney · Oct 29, 2011 · Sheridan, Wy · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 0
Lincoln Falls today, 10/29/2011 around 3pm.
10/29/2011.

10/29/2011.

Now the important part anyone want to get out and climb this tomorrow, I'll bring beer and rope if you bring a few more screws(I have 4),and or one of the following: more beer, beuitiful women, or atleast a positive outlook. P.M. me if interested.
Thanks,
Cole Phinney
Edit to add partner has been found.

bjp · Oct 29, 2011 · durango · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 0
Dustin wrote: Hey, what do you mean about the river crossing? Looking to head there tomorrow...
prolly means bring (garbage?) bags to wear (as waders) over your feet/legs. you have to cross mineral creek to get to the climbing, and it ain't cold enough to be frozen.....................

Kevin Gillest · Nov 1, 2011 · Arvada, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 2,025
Climbed ice on Mt Evans/Mt Warren Oct 30 2011, "Concrete Shoes"
Carl Pluim leading pitch 1.

Buff Johnson · Nov 1, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 545
how'd it go?

Andrew McLean · Nov 1, 2011 · Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 165
Yeah how did it go?

jack roberts · Nov 1, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 0
Kevin,

Ya gotta give it up.......How did It go? Enquiring minds and your fans want to know?

jack roberts · Nov 1, 2011 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 0
Kevin,

Ya gotta give it up.......How did It go? Enquiring minds and your fans want to know?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply