Mountain Project Logo

climbing/ climbers around Vail CO

Original Post
Dalton201 · · Boulder, Co · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 5

I Moved to Vail last week from north Alabama and am looking to find out about the climbing out here. I am wanting to do any climbing including ice climbing. Looking for knowledgable climbers in the area.

JJNS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 531

Go to Bag and Pack in Avon and introduce yourself. Inquire about the local areas. They use to do a wednesday bouldering night out at the Kluttergarden. The night might have changed but it is the best way to meet some partners. Or if you can afford it, the climbing wall at the Vail athletic club is a good option for when the temps start to plummet.

T. William · · Avon · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

W.A.C. Lives JJ! Don't bother with the VAC, unless you want to dodge flying 12 year old climbing team members. The Kluttergarden and homestake road is where you'll find the locals.

kclimbs Barker · · Columbus, OH · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

Just go to Rifle! There are a bunch of good people in the VAC that head out and climb all the time. There is only 2 maybe 3 good problems at the Kluttergarden so you'll get bored there quick. same with most of the sport routes.

Kyle McKay · · Branford, CT · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10

Howdy,

I also live in Vail and try to get out as much as possible. I'd be down to show you around a few spots. What kind of climbing and level are you?

Andy Craig · · Cascades area, WA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 95

Heya,
I will be moving down that way, not sure exactly where/when (most likely late December/early January).
I'm an avid ice climber and don't mind mixed either, I'm going down to be a ski bum this season so snow conditions will depend on how often I will be ice climbing, but would love to meet some more climbers and get out as much as possible.

How ya like living in Vail? I'm not sure where I'm going to head for, maybe Breckenridge or Dillion or something, or just live out of a camper if possible. But I will be around this winter.

Coming from Pacific Northwest so would love to get on some of the cold CO ice!!

Berkeley · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10
Andy Craig wrote:Heya, I will be moving down that way, not sure exactly where/when (most likely late December/early January). I'm an avid ice climber and don't mind mixed either, I'm going down to be a ski bum this season so snow conditions will depend on how often I will be ice climbing, but would love to meet some more climbers and get out as much as possible. How ya like living in Vail? I'm not sure where I'm going to head for, maybe Breckenridge or Dillion or something, or just live out of a camper if possible. But I will be around this winter. Coming from Pacific Northwest so would love to get on some of the cold CO ice!!
This is more or a skiing than climbing comment, but if you're moving to CO for the skiing, I'd skip Vail, Frisco, etc, and head straight to Crested Butte or Telluride. The skiing is way better down there...unless you're a huge park rider, and then I'd say go to Breckenridge. My 0.02.

You're right, it does seem like more of a ski comment. I'm new to ski bumming so just saw the epic pass was pretty cheap and includes a lot of places, if I didn't have the pass I would definitely check out telluride/crested.

But to bring this back to ice climbing -- I am very excited to get on some CO ice, I usually prefer multipitch/mix but would love to do some ice style cragging as well just to meet some people. Vail seems like it has a lot of really nice drips that come in!

Berkeley · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10
Andy Craig wrote:You're right, it does seem like more of a ski comment. I'm new to ski bumming so just saw the epic pass was pretty cheap and includes a lot of places, if I didn't have the pass I would definitely check out telluride/crested. But to bring this back to ice climbing -- I am very excited to get on some CO ice, I usually prefer multipitch/mix but would love to do some ice style cragging as well just to meet some people. Vail seems like it has a lot of really nice drips that come in!
I see. In that case, I'd live in Avon or Eagle, and ski Vail and Beaver Creek. Keystone and Breckenridge (and often Vail) are really crowded because of the number of people from the front range who have season passes. You'll definitely have a blast! I just mentioned the other areas because I spent a ski season in Summit County, but if I had it to do over again, I'd pick CB or Telluride (or better yet, Jackson). I think there's more legit ice climbing around Vail than in Summit County, also (although, I'm not much of an ice climber, so I may be wrong).
Berkeley wrote: I see. In that case, I'd live in Avon or Eagle, and ski Vail and Beaver Creek. Keystone and Breckenridge (and often Vail) are really crowded because of the number of people from the front range who have season passes. You'll definitely have a blast! I just mentioned the other areas because I spent a ski season in Summit County, but if I had it to do over again, I'd pick CB or Telluride (or better yet, Jackson). I think there's more legit ice climbing around Vail than in Summit County, also (although, I'm not much of an ice climber, so I may be wrong).
Thank you much for this info! I've been searching as much as I can to find info on these areas and figured I'd just go with the flow when I headed down there, but this helps a ton. I am trying to avoid the crowds, and not much of the party type (infact only usually have a beer after a climb). Do you usually gym climb in the winter then vs. ice? Kluttergarden mentioned here sounds like a cool gym
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "climbing/ climbers around Vail CO"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started