Mountain Project Logo

Lone Pine Peak Conditions?

Original Post
jfailing · · Portland, OR · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 10

Anyone done the North Ridge this season? I'm planning on doing it this weekend and am wondering whether to bring an ice axe for the descent...

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,261

Was up there at the end of May. I brought one but it wasn't absolutely necessary for the descent. I spoke to some guys who were on Whitney/Russell last week. They said the snow was sloggy in the afternoons. There a minor storm front coming through right now which will drop the temps for another day or so, but it's supposed to warm up again.

Reed Ames · · Hesperia, CA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 2,497

Was there the weekend of June 18th. The descent chute was free of snow and we only had to cross two snowfields and a few patches which can be done at lower angles if navigated correctly. We had a warm weekend and the snow seemed to soften by the mid-morning and stayed soft/sticky all day. Didn't bring ice-axe and would not have needed it except we had to descend at night and did not get to the lower snowfield (below the lakes) until 10:30pm and couldn't see a way across and the snow seemed to be hardening. We decided to bivy and found an easy enough way across it around 8am the next morning. I think if you decend during the day, you won't need one.

Tom Fralich · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

Please post conditions after your trip. I'm planning to go July 5. Would love to know about boots vs approach shoes, ice axe vs no ice axe, etc.

Tyler Wick · · Bishop, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 200

I was up there June 4, the descent slope (the furthest one even with meysan lake) was free of snow.. it was a fun scree ski to the bottom. We encountered quite a bit of snow around the lakes, but it was soft in the late afternoon. Did not carry ice axes or have any need for them..

Tom Fralich · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0
Tyler Wick wrote:I was up there June 4, the descent slope (the furthest one even with meysan lake) was free of snow.. it was a fun scree ski to the bottom. We encountered quite a bit of snow around the lakes, but it was soft in the late afternoon. Did not carry ice axes or have any need for them..
Boots or approach shoes?

Thanks for the info all - sounds like it's a no on the ice axe. I'll report back what the conditions are when I hit it up this weekend! There was a doozie of a windstorm in the Owen's Valley last night. Apparently it was snowing in the high peaks...

Tyler Wick · · Bishop, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 200

I wore mid-height approach shoes, but my feet got soaked on the hike out.. gaiters would've helped!

Did this on Saturday the 2nd. Conditions were perfect! After leaving the Meysan lakes trail, we hiked a snow-bridge over the RAGING creek. It may be possible to circumnavigate the creek differently, however more difficultly.

The climb was great. A hint of snow here in there, but nothing that got in the way. The descent was about 95% scree-skiing, and about 5% boot-skiing in snow.

Did the whole thing in light pants and approach shoes. I almost wish I'd brought some cooler clothing for the actual climb... It was definitely very warm during the day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Lone Pine Peak Conditions?"