Mountain Project Logo

How far is ice climbing from Aberdeen, Scotland?

Original Post
Ali Jaffri · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 695

Hey Guys,
I moved to Stavanger, Norway from the US hoping I could climb more ice and that was a bad idea. Its too warm around here and even though there are tons of natural waterfalls they just dont freeze long enough for ice to get thick. So unless you're planning on moving to Bergen or even further north DO NOT MOVE TO NORWAY FOR ICE-CLIMBING!

Ive read about all the amazing ice and mixed climbing in Scotland and was wondering how far those areas are for someone living in Aberdeen. Can it be a day-trip or even a weekend trip?

Looking forward to some advice!

David Appelhans · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 410

There is a lot of good ice climbing in the Cairngorms. I stayed in Aviemore for a couple of weeks in the summer and all I heard about was how great the (scottish) ice climbing was. Several of the rock routes I did had crampon scrapes up and down them. From Aberdeen to Aviemore is about 2 hrs and from Aviemore to a ski resort that serves as a trailhead is another hr. Then the approaches would be about an hour in winter to the closest cirque.

maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C…

Maybe there is more climbing on the west side of the Cairngorms Park nearer to you, but it certainly looked like Aviemore was a winter destination. The pictures in the guidebooks looked great, but not a ton of waterfall ice, more mixed and alpine.

Edit: Fixed the link:
maps.google.com/maps?f=q&so…

Ali Jaffri · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 695

Thanks David!

Its a privilege to live in Boulder, I wish Id never left!

If I cant get back to Denver, or move to Calgary, Aberdeen is next on the list. I appreciate the advice!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "How far is ice climbing from Aberdeen, Scotland? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started