Mountain Project Logo

Turkey Rocks

Original Post
matt.l.b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

Has anyone been to Turkey Rocks recently. What I'm curious about is how is the road and camping?

reukk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 50

was there on wednesday and it was good. no snow, lots of sun, climbing in your t-shirt. got pretty chilly though as things went into the shade.

jmapping · · Carbondale, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 766

I was there on Saturday and all the snow was gone making the roads pretty easy to drive. The weather might have gotten a little messy on Sunday (i left on saturday) but probably nothing too severe.

If you find a Black Diamond #3 cam at Turkey Perch please let me know. Can't seem to find it. Soo sad.

Crag Dweller · · New York, NY · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125

i was up there saturday as well. the road is a bit eroded from the melt off. you could definitely get a subaru up there without too much difficulty. and, it's easy for a high-clearance vehicle. i don't know that i'd try to drive up it in a honda civic, though.

it was snowing a bit by the time we got to Pine Junction. i'm guessing the snow was falling at turkey rocks as well based on the way the sky looked when we left. with today's weather, there may be some snow to deal with until it warms up again.

on a side note, my #11 BD stopper and a nalgene didn't make it back home with me. The stopper is about 2/3 of the way up The Fiend on the south face of Turkey Rock. I got to it and realized that my nut tool was on the ground but it was getting too late to go all the way back down for it. I think the nalgene got mixed up in the assortments of gear over at Turkey Perch.

So, there's bootie to be had or good karma and beer if you pick them up and PM me.

jmapping · · Carbondale, co · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 766

Funny. The whole drive I was trying to determine if my Honda Civic could make it up the final road. I think I could make it to the lower camp ground. But I am not too worried about banging my civic up either.

I saw your Nalgene at the crag. I wish I would have grabbed it. Sorry.

Wombat wrote:Funny. The whole drive I was trying to determine if my Honda Civic could make it up the final road. I think I could make it to the lower camp ground. But I am not too worried about banging my civic up either. I saw your Nalgene at the crag. I wish I would have grabbed it. Sorry.
Haha, yeah, it could be done...as long as you don't mind the occasional scraping sound and a slow drive.

No worries. I'm sure it'll make its way back to me or find a new home.
matt.l.b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

Thanks guys I'll look for the gear. I'm not worried about bumps or scrapes. Mostly just about camping and the snow but that doesn't seem to be a problem and neither is the road. :)

S.Stelli · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 150
matt.l.b wrote:Thanks guys I'll look for the gear. I'm not worried about bumps or scrapes. Mostly just about camping and the snow but that doesn't seem to be a problem and neither is the road. :)
Matt - your rig seems highly insufficient to make the road. I don't see a beer sticker on the side of it ANYWHERE.

were you asking about the road or the routes, matt? obviously, you'll have no problem getting up the road. and, you may even be able to make it up a few of the routes in that rig. haha.

if you're able to retrieve the stopper and/or stumble across the nalgene, i'll be happy to offer beer for their return. the stopper was the first piece i placed after taking a fall. so, it was placed with a bit of sincerity. but, it should come out pretty easily with a nut tool. the nalgene is dark gray with a Neptune's sticker.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Turkey Rocks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started