Mountain Project Logo

Share your photos/stories of Indian Creek!

Original Post
Luke Stefurak · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,573

So after seeing some great photos in Supertopo threads about Tales of Power and The Phoenix I was hoping to find some psyche and sweet photos of Indian Creek.

I’d love to see some shots or hear the stories about the first/any ascents of Tricks are for Kids, Death of a Cowboy, Winner Takes All, Christmas Tree, Cathedral of the Mad Feline, Scared Cow and any other 5.12-> 5.13 routes. (Really any photos/stories would be appreciated)

The following are some cool one’s I’ve seen so far:

Six Star Crack

Optimator

Pink Flamingo??

Broken Brain

Learning to Fly

From Switzerland with Love

Burl Dog

Sig Saur

Air Swedin

Thanks!

- Luke
Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,525

Those are all excellent shots!

Does this count as an action shot.
--- Invalid image id: 106621833 ---
The story here is it was our last night after 7 days in the creek yet we still had a lot of alchohol left... The bar was set high to finish all of the alchohol so we bagan to drink like fish. After several beers and pulls out of our good friend Evan Williams I decided I'd had enough so I went to stand up to go to the tent, fell over and passed out for a couple hours... Ahh I love the desert.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Well, it wasn't an FA, but I'm pretty sure that I got the FNIMA on Incredible Hand Crack. Yes, on a bright night in the spring of 2010, I stripped down naked, grabbed my harness and a couple gold camalots, and got the first naked-inebriated-moonlight-ascent of the classic Indian Creek "test piece".

Luckily-for you and for me-there are no pictures.

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

doesnt count if you were wearing a harness or shoes.

David Appelhans · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 410

Was it a clean ascent, or did you use a long dong?

mtoensing · · AZ · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 705

Clay after completing tower 21 or something like that. Shot, beer, and other stuff and then another day of towers!
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Darren Mabe wrote:doesnt count if you were wearing a harness or shoes.
May have had tape too. I didn't say "FNIMA-FS", that's ones still up for grabs, I believe.
Tom R · · Denver, CO · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 140

--- Invalid image id: 106621833 ---
You're a class act, Dave!

Luke Stefurak · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,573

Nice! So is 9 Lives as good as they say?

- Luke

Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,525

9 Lives is incredible. One of my favorites at the grade... Not 12- though.

Highlander · · Ouray, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 256

Rob Kepley · · Westminster, CO · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,005
rob bauer · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 3,929

I posted this comment last year, and although it doesn't apply to the climbs you mentioned, maybe it contributes to the flavor of your question. It applies to the Jane Fonda's Full Body Workout route:

Maybe an interesting story? My buddy Steve Lynn & I did this on 5-25-81. We cleaned the start a lot and led until I ran out of gear (Didn't have enough to get a full pitch, or a decent end point; certainly not high enough to put in an angle.) I pulled up rocks in a stuff sack, tied a sling and belayed off a rock and my last Friend. (Note, we used river rocks which we harvested the night before. We'd used sandstone rocks on another climb the day before--WAY to scary!) Anyway, we thought it was a new route at the time. [I've always wondered whether someone finished this and just spent a couple of hours looking at slides to figure it out.]

edit: In retrospect, if we'd really been hardmen, we would've swapped gear at the hanging belay and continued, but it was hot and we were beat. We still needed 2 ropes to bail. Somebody must've got a kick out of that anchor.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Share your photos/stories of Indian Creek!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started