the evolution of the camalot..


Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755
climber pat wrote: Yes the thumb bar was the original, the molded one piece sheath is actually a later model. The thumb bar was a pain because the straight plastic shafts did not fit well into the thumb bar and everything would flop around. I tried gluing mine in place but that did not work very well. Nevertheless, they were a big improvement on what was on the market at the time.
Thumb bar = Gen 1.

One piece plastic stem thingie = Gen 2 These things are still fine IMO in hard rock, assuming no cracks in the head.

Single stem = Gen 3

Thumb loop = Gen 4. Hence C4 designation (Corvette fanciers will understand). Contrary to what many newbs think, C4 doesn't stand for 4 cams, though BD's C3 designation for their 3-lobe units did tend to muddy the water.
20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348
Gunkiemike wrote: One piece plastic stem thingie = Gen 2
Does this apply to the #1 and larger 2nd gens too? I know the .75 and smaller fits your description, but for some reason I am thinking they used a different design on the #1 and larger than they did on the .75 and smaller. I am thinking they used the U stem on the smaller units and the single stem on the larger units for the 2nd gen.
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755
20 kN wrote: Does this apply to the #1 and larger 2nd gens too? I know the .75 and smaller fits your description, but for some reason I am thinking they used a different design on the #1 and larger than they did on the .75 and smaller. I am thinking they used the U stem on the smaller units and the single stem on the larger units for the 2nd gen.
Let me try to clarify. The Chouinard Camalots (Gen 1) had a 3-part plastic cover over the cable U stem - two straight tubes and a cylindrical cross piece; see Adam Stackhouse's #3 near the top of this thread. The loop at the end of the cable was not covered and can not be covered with a sling b/c it will cut the sling. The Gen 2 replaced these 3 pieces with a single molded piece; see Jay Shultis' photo upthread (his caption is incorrect). The Gen 3 introduced the single stem and sewn sling. There were actually a couple versions of Gen 3, as a small bump was added to the stem cover to limit forward movement of the trigger bar.

The .5 and .75 units were originally called Camalot Juniors, and they were U frame with a plastic cover over the cable that permitted a sewn sling. I'm not sure but I think these sizes went single stem only when the smaller sizes ("Micro Camalots", arguably the least successful versions of the brand) came out.
Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 290
Erik Sloan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 120

Cool historical pics.......what about the future of Camalots? Can someone blend a camalot logo on a Totem Cam?

I hope these two companies are working it out so Americans can get the best cams on the market. Seriously, Totem Cams make Camalots look like a '64 El Camino trying to park in a compact spot at Rite Aid. Unbelievably better.

Take it from me - I'm not sponsored by either and haven't received any free cams, but I have climbed El Capitan 93 times and only lead 5.9, which means I do a lot of 'leaning' on my cams, haha. Only trouble is the Totems are imported from Spain, so we need an American company to partner with them to help with North American production and distribution. Right now they're spendy and hard to get....but worth it.

Woot!
Erik
Yosemitebigwall.com

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348
Gunkiemike wrote: Let me try to clarify. The Chouinard Camalots (Gen 1) had a 3-part plastic cover over the cable U stem - two straight tubes and a cylindrical cross piece; see Adam Stackhouse's #3 near the top of this thread. The loop at the end of the cable was not covered and can not be covered with a sling b/c it will cut the sling. The Gen 2 replaced these 3 pieces with a single molded piece; see Jay Shultis' photo upthread (his caption is incorrect). The Gen 3 introduced the single stem and sewn sling. There were actually a couple versions of Gen 3, as a small bump was added to the stem cover to limit forward movement of the trigger bar. The .5 and .75 units were originally called Camalot Juniors, and they were U frame with a plastic cover over the cable that permitted a sewn sling. I'm not sure but I think these sizes went single stem only when the smaller sizes ("Micro Camalots", arguably the least successful versions of the brand) came out.
Ah, so the only difference between the gen one and gen two is that the gen one has a three-piece cover on the wire and the gen two has a one-piece cover?
Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 290

photo of the earlier three-piece cover

Gen 1

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755
20 kN wrote:Ah, so the only difference between the gen one and gen two is that the gen one has a three-piece cover on the wire and the gen two has a one-piece cover?
That's about it AFAIK. Plus one was branded Chouinard and the other Black Diamond. I suspect the fatigue cracking issue was significantly improved during that timeframe (but I don't have any evidence to back that up).
Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 953
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply