Mountain Project Logo

Proposition 203 - Medical Marijuana


Phil Lauffen · · The Bubble · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,245
Doug Metcalf wrote:Just because heavy drug users in some scans have holes in their brains in no way means that drugs cause that damage. correlation does not prove causation
So what you're saying is people with holes in their brain are heavy drug users?
Merlin · · Grand Junction · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10
Brian wrote: Oops...you're right. I guess it is all those brain cells I lost. Although this "Amen" is not without his critics either and has been accused of quackery as well. quackwatch.com/06ResearchPr…
Also interesting, thanks.
JD Kendall · · Winslow, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 365
Phil Lauffen wrote: So what you're saying is people with holes in their brain are heavy drug users?
No.... not even close....

He is saying that the SCANS which are supposedly from "Heavy Drug Users" that have "holes" don't have a supporting medical history associated with them that allows the observer to know if there possibly are any other factors which may have contributed to or caused the effect ("holes") in the individuals brain.

That would be like someone saying that since an individual is infected with HIV therefore that individual must be homosexual...
CascadeKid · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 0
JD Kendall wrote: No.... not even close.... He is saying that the SCANS which are supposedly from "Heavy Drug Users" that have "holes" don't have a supporting medical history associated with them that allows the observer to know if there possibly are any other factors which may have contributed to or caused the effect ("holes") in the individuals brain. That would be like someone saying that since an individual is infected with HIV therefore that individual must be homosexual...
so what you're saying is everyone with the HIV is gay.
Phil Lauffen · · The Bubble · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,245
JD Kendall wrote: No.... not even close.... He is saying that the SCANS which are supposedly from "Heavy Drug Users" that have "holes" don't have a supporting medical history associated with them that allows the observer to know if there possibly are any other factors which may have contributed to or caused the effect ("holes") in the individuals brain. That would be like someone saying that since an individual is infected with HIV therefore that individual must be homosexual...
so either:

a) people with holes already in their brains from some unspecified cause are prone to be heavy drug users

b) heavy drug use causes holes in your brain

( btw, I'm not advocating any of Amen's work or vouching for it's validity)
Mike Pharris · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 125
CascadeKid wrote: I'm pretty sure it's the physician's last name, not a religious affiliation.
yeah, his website doesn't play to that angle at all.
JD Kendall · · Winslow, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 365
CascadeKid wrote: so what you're saying is everyone with the HIV is gay.
Please tell me that you are kidding...

...if not then please take a reading comprehension course before commenting any further...

That was obviously a statement to illustrate the absurdity of making causal statements without a shred of supporting evidence as well as a play on an actual public opinion which was held which was not based on facts and was preposterous.
JD Kendall · · Winslow, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 365
Phil Lauffen wrote: so either: a) people with holes already in their brains from some unspecified cause are prone to be heavy drug users b) heavy drug use causes holes in your brain ( btw, I'm not advocating any of Amen's work or vouching for it's validity)
...you forgot option c

c. Dr. Amen is a quack interested in making $$ and therefore publishes unfounded results which play to people's fears so that he can manipulate them into paying for his services.
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
Mark Roth wrote:I'd like to see the brain scan of a compulsive Mt. Project user....
No, you really don't
Cor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,460

Tim Fearn:
"Didn't know Utah was one of the Stricter states on the 420 issue."

and

"They regularly have record breaking busts in this area due to routine highway stops."

Those statements don't go well together!
Routine highway stops??

I have heard of (and met one) crooked cops,
they love routine stops, and if you don't
know your rights, prepare to be screwed up the a$$

matt davies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25
Legs Magillicutty wrote:I think Peter Tosh says it best: Legalize it - don't criticize it Legalize it and i will advertise it Some call it tampee Some call it the weed Some call it Marijuana Some of them call it Ganja Legalize it - don't criticize it Legalize it and i will advertise it Singer smoke it And players of instruments too Legalize it, yeah, yeah That's the best thing you can do Doctors smoke it Nurses smoke it Judges smoke it Even the lawyers too Legalize it - don't criticize it Legalize it and i will advertise it It's good for the flu It's good for asthma Good for tuberculosis Even umara composis Legalize it - don't criticize it Legalize it and i will advertise it Bird eat it And they leave it Fowls eat it Goats love to play with it Love, Mary Jane Roach
The only cure for Glaucoma... and maybe Reggaemylitis...legalize it
Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190
David Appelhans wrote: Maybe Marijuana use leads to a lack of reading skills.
Perhaps, but, I am sure that it effects our posting skills!
Phil Lauffen · · The Bubble · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 2,245
JD Kendall wrote: ...you forgot option c c. Dr. Amen is a quack interested in making $$ and therefore publishes unfounded results which play to people's fears so that he can manipulate them into paying for his services.
Holes in my brain would play to my fears pretty well, and I would pay lots of money for them to go away. sounds like a good scheme.
Timmy Fearn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 95
Cor wrote: Those statements don't go well together! Routine highway stops?? I have heard of (and met one) crooked cops, they love routine stops, and if you don't know your rights, prepare to be screwed up the a$$
It's a sad state of affairs. But there have been stops where someone is going 85 on the 80 through the PC area, they get pulled over and hmm... maybe 150lbs is hard to cover up the smell of... bummer... Dude drove the speed limit woulda been no worries.

But really I'd think that would be rough in any state. Not sure how Utah is more strict. I've known people who have just gotten ticketed here and people who have gotten off with warnings.

I think every state has a horror story.

Man in Texas locked up for life for having 10 small marijuana plants.

And back to the brain scan stuff, what about in monasteries where they have incense burning 24/7? Personally I think Amen has an agenda... and it may help some who are seeking help to change, but to be dogmatic about it really won't bring about a lasting homeostasis for everyone.
Mike Dudley · · Vegas · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 155

Don't care too much if they make it legal.... im smokin anyway

SubantZ · · Georgia SON!!!! · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 5
Mike Dudley wrote:Don't care too much if they make it legal.... im smokin anyway
+++++ and Plus +1
Down with the machine.
stop corporate america now. Before the forest unions lobby to stop the madness. and Paper Companies and clothing companies and the DEA would get less funding and have to look for more Meth.
RANT RANT RANT.
To hell with the man.
MEOW
J1. · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 790

This feed is gettin way to heavy man...
youtube.com/watch?v=NDKG2R2…;feature=related

ryan dillon · · Tucson, AZ. · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 330

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmWA2sFElnc

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Proposition 203 - Medical Marijuana"
in the Arizona & New Mexico

Log In to Reply