Mountain Project Logo

Accident in Red Rocks Oak Creek 11/25/10

Ming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,955

Oh wow. My condolences. I climbed Solar Slabs a month ago and thought the first pitch was a bit run-out in the beginning to get to the hand crack for pro. Was that where it happened? I remember being very careful where the crack was because there were some delicate looking holds.

Brigette Beasley · · Monroe, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 275

RIP Heather. What a sad, sad loss. Best wishes to her partner, friends, and family.

We had heard about a fatality in the park at the gas station on our way in to climb on Friday morning. I'm really, really glad that the gas station attendant didn't know where it had happened, because we were headed out to climb Solar Slabs. It was my daughter's first multipitch.

A rescue chopper hovered near the base of the lower Solar Slabs area while we were on the upper, and I was so relieved when it left. I hope it was just following up on the previous day's events and was not headed elsewhere for a rescue.

One must climb ~500' of the lower area before getting to the upper (Solar Slabs proper), so, based upon the rescue report and Buck being nearby on Johnny Vegas, it sounds as though Heather was still on one of the lower routes.

Steven Lucarelli · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 6,794

We had hiked up to the base of Johnny Vegas late that morning hoping to find some climbs in the sun. We left when the sun passed behind Mnt. Wilson and the lower part of the wall went into the shade, but I believe we saw Heather leading the crux pitch of Beulah's Book. As we hiked out I looked back and saw a party of two standing on the large step where the lower routes end and the upper Solar Slab begins.

What a tragedy.

zzzdale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

Heather and I were friends. I climbed with her quite a bit over the years and even this summer several times. For the record she was a very cautious climber. She was always hesitant to lead and I never pushed her to. Sometimes I would leave the rope through the first or second draws for her to make her feel better. We all know people who are super cautious, Heather fit that category. She was capable of sending 5.12 when she was on her game. She has done quite a bit of gear climbing here in Squamish. This is all a bit of a shock and makes no sense knowing her and her attitude about unnecessary risk. She was a sweet lady with a warm smile and a soft voice, She thought of others before herself. This is quite tragic.

David Crockett · · Salt Lake City, Utah. Shipr… · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 25

To clarify, the accident occurred on The Friar, a route in the Lower Solar Slab area east of Johnny Vegas. I believe she was on the third pitch when she fell.

Doug Foust · · Oroville, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 165

Thanks for the clarification Davcro, everything makes a bit more sense(not that all accidents make sense) knowing that She was climbing the friar.

Again, condolences to all of Heather's family, friends and to the first responders. It's always sad to hear about losing someone in the climbing community.

dug1ross · · Vancouver, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 15

My condolences to friends and family. Take care out there.

concerned · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

Thank you everyone who's been concerned. It's a hard time for everyone involved and I'm glad it has all stayed positive. Heather was a strong and very competent climber but more than that she was a beautiful person. Anyone who's seen her smile knows this and my hope is that we all can continue to honor her memory.

Kaner · · Eagle · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 2,280

What a horrible tragedy. She sounds like a beautiful person and a good climber. The 25th is my birthday and last year we did Johnny Vegas to Solar Slab. Great climbing but it is terribly sad to hear of an accident like this. Deepest condolences to family and friends.

It is painful to hear the cliches like "She died doing something she loved" but in many respects it is true and when people say things like this, they are trying to help and it is hard to say the right thing in situations like these. Bless all climbers and first responders, SAR and especially friends and family of the deceased.

David Crockett · · Salt Lake City, Utah. Shipr… · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 25
John Wilder wrote: Did the fall occur on the block pitch (the final pitch) or the weird slab pitch leading up to the block?
She fell on the slab pitch. She turned upside down when she hit the slabs.
Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi? · · Vegas · Joined May 2005 · Points: 4,115

RIP Heather.

May the family, and friends of Heather find peace- having lost a very close friend who was also one of my main climbing partners in a tragic climbing accident, I can feel your pain. Best wishes to be strong, as Heather was, on the long, and difficult road ahead. With a heavy heart; I'm am so sorry for your loss of such a beautiful person in your lives.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

This is so sad.

Rest in peace.

BrendanC · · Sherman oaks, ca · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 15
davcro wrote: She fell on the slab pitch. She turned upside down when she hit the slabs.
So she fell when a hold broke on the long 30-ish foot slab runout to the anchor on P3 (5.6R) on The Friar. Is this correct?

Thank you.
concerned wrote:Thank you everyone who's been concerned. It's a hard time for everyone involved and I'm glad it has all stayed positive. Heather was a strong and very competent climber but more than that she was a beautiful person. Anyone who's seen her smile knows this and my hope is that we all can continue to honor her memory.
Concerned and others that knew Heather- Maybe post some pictures/stories under the memorial section? Heather sounds like a pretty wonderful person, it would be cool for those of us that did not know her to get to share the wonderful life she lived.
J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

Sorry to all of you who knew Heather.

Sorry to ask, but it seems like useful information...was Heather wearing a helmet?

Heather's Friend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5

Beautiful Heather died on Friday without waking up from her fall. She would want us to be happy and not to be sad although it is extremely hard for all that knew her. She was as beautiful inside as she was out. Climbing was a joy to her and she died doing what she loved. Thank you for your kind words. Think of her next time you get up the side of a rock and enjoy, enjoy!

I'll be drinking some beers with my climbing friends tonight and will be sure to tip a glass in Heather's honor.

Cheers,

Doug

Chris DeWitt · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 155

I was climbing the Friar back in May. I had a hold break on me on the third pitch and I fell. Luckily, I was on follow and the rope caught me.

Rest in Peace, Heather Gray.

Danny McCracken · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

My condolences to her friends and family.

Was she wearing a helmet? I am hesitant to ask but any information we can share will help all of us in the future.

Heather's Friend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5

I hesitated to answer your question as I am only an amateur climber. As far as I have been told, it would not have made any difference, but no, she was not wearing her helmut.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Accident in Red Rocks Oak Creek 11/25/10"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started