Adventure Projects is hiring an Android engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

What's up with people hating boulderers?


Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,425
tongmengjia wrote: I don't hate boulderers, but I do think climbers that exclusively boulder are missing the entire point. They're eating the frosting (which is delicious) and mistaking it for the cake. It's like dating a girl because she's pretty- yeah, that's fun for awhile, but if you don't appreciate all the other parts of her personality, you're never going to have a meaningful relationship. And if some guy is dating the girl you love just because he likes to have sex with her, you can't really help but hate him.
I seriously doubt you've dated any pretty girls.
Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 478
tongmengjia wrote: Alright, I'm going to make a serious reply here, not trying to piss anyone off or anything. But I disagree with what you said, and I really think this might go to the heart of the "hating boulderers" issue. To me, the essence of climbing is not "movement", and we are not "doing essentially the same thing". I love the gymnastic side of climbing, I love feeling graceful and powerful as I move over the rock. But that's just the icing on the cake. Rock climbing is ultimately about self-control. It's about having the patience and endurance to keep hiking even when your cold, uncomfortable, and exhausted. It's about not freaking out when you're high above your last piece of pro and in an insecure stance, but instead staying calm, finding the right piece, and placing it correctly even if your hands are shaking. It's about being self-reliant enough to save yourself if you get caught in the middle of a thunderstorm and have to bail from four pitches up. I don't hate boulderers, but I do think climbers that exclusively boulder are missing the entire point. They're eating the frosting (which is delicious) and mistaking it for the cake. It's like dating a girl because she's pretty- yeah, that's fun for awhile, but if you don't appreciate all the other parts of her personality, you're never going to have a meaningful relationship. And if some guy is dating the girl you love just because he likes to have sex with her, you can't really help but hate him. I can respect anyone that takes any sport seriously. Training for anything (even ballroom dancing or shuffle board) requires discipline and commitment. But if you're training to do something that is superficial, it's also kind of a waste of time. And physical ability is superficial, compared to the mental and emotional control that's needed to trad climb. I consider alpine climbing the ultimate form of climbing because it demands the most from a person- physically, mentally, and emotionally. I respect high ball bouldering, but the longest high ball boulder problem might take two minutes to climb. Two minutes of keeping yourself calm and in control. Alpine climbing requires that you do that for hours and hours on end. And that, my friends, is why I'm an alpine elitist! Plus, c'mon, has anyone seen Reel Rock Tour yet? Yeah, Daniel Woods and Paul Robinson are cool, but wouldn't you give your left nut (or ovary, as the case may be) to be as talented as Ueli Steck? Yes, yes you would.
Pretty decent post. A tangent, I know, but this makes me think about the difference between physical and mental prowess. A lot of people tend to put a certain kind of mental prowess up on a pedestal, claiming that it's more meaningful to be wise in the ways of the world or in mathematics or something, instead of possessing great athletic skill. But both intelligence and body type are simply building blocks toward a better human. Piling knowledge on intelligence goes hand in hand with piling athletic prowess on whatever body type you've been given. Additionally, all athletic feats have their root in the actions of the brain. Possessing great knowledge is just one half of a well-developed, knowledgable brain. Being coordinated enough to shoot a basketball is the other half. There's argument there for the genius found in the brains of athletes. Whether someone lacks wisdom or athletic skill, he is equally dumb.
tongmengjia · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 45
Monomaniac wrote: I seriously doubt you've dated any pretty girls.
Ouch! By an administrator nonetheless.
Ben P · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 5
Monomaniac wrote: I seriously doubt you've dated any pretty girls.
You obviously don't know Tong!!!
Anna Floyd · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 10
tongmengjia wrote: ... I really think this might go to the heart of the "hating boulderers" issue. To me, the essence of climbing is not "movement", and we are not "doing essentially the same thing". I love the gymnastic side of climbing, I love feeling graceful and powerful as I move over the rock. But .... Rock climbing is ultimately about self-control. It's about having the patience and endurance to keep hiking even when your cold, uncomfortable, and exhausted. It's about not freaking out when you're high above your last piece of pro and in an insecure stance, but instead staying calm, finding the right piece, and placing it correctly even if your hands are shaking. It's about being self-reliant ...
@tongmengjia - I think you pretty much hit the heart of the issue. There ARE many things to love about climbing, different climbers love different aspects, and the mere fact that there are different types of climbing out there attest to this. If there were no different things to love, we would not have different styles of climbing.

But all the bantering about and degrading of the style that doesn't fit one's love... Really, folks? Why the need to bash someone else's love? All styles have something to offer each other. Maybe boulderers can learn from trad climbers how to face incredible fears and to be self-reliant. Maybe trad climbers can learn from boulderers how to be crazy persistant and to pull fucking hard.

I think we should remember what we can give each other, instead of bickering. Like someone said earlier - we're all peeing in the woods. (ooop, make that playing... in the woods).
George Heib · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 30
Anna Floyd wrote: @tongmengjia - I think you pretty much hit the heart of the issue. There ARE many things to love about climbing, different climbers love different aspects, and the mere fact that there are different types of climbing out there attest to this. If there were no different things to love, we would not have different styles of climbing. But all the bantering about and degrading of the style that doesn't fit one's love... Really, folks? Why the need to bash someone else's love? All styles have something to offer each other. Maybe boulderers can learn from trad climbers how to face incredible fears and to be self-reliant. Maybe trad climbers can learn from boulderers how to be crazy persistant and to pull fucking hard. I think we should remember what we can give each other, instead of bickering. Like someone said earlier - we're all peeing in the woods. (ooop, make that playing... in the woods).
Well said Anna. The main reason I partake in all the disciplines isn't to be the best at all, but to learn the different styles of all and improve my overall capabilities. Bouldering is really fun, power driven and an extremely quick way to go climb. Trad is all about that mental aspect with a super fun technical style of climbing that I do love so much (hence why I prefer traditional cracks and dihedrals). The thing I love the best about all aspects is sharing my love for climbing and the reward of showing someone something that they take and learn from...for example, people that love nothing but bouldering stick to a specific style of climbing. I know there are technical problems out there, but for the most part you train for hard, powerful overhanging moves. I love watching someone climb and then showing them a different way to look at a problem, like removing a super powerful hard dyno with a few extra technical foot placements and small hand jibs to support the move. The rewards in climbing are seeing someone else take your love for technical balance moves and apply it to their styles and excel. Even if they are only bouldering, the shared experiences and gratitude for accomplishing something for yourself with a passion that you can share with others is the main reason I LOVE and will always LOVE Climbing. I love that most people wont talk trash to you, but would rather encourage you to complete a route.

Like I said, I love trad to death and would rather be jamming than cranking, but some of my best experiences with climbing have been during the Triple Crown Bouldering Series. Never have I seen a competition where 99% of everyone there will cheer and encourage fellow competitors to excel and complete a climb.

@Monomaniac: Seriously? An admin and you post up that? Are you going to think lesser of people like Alex Honnold because he doesn't get the sexy girls?
Choss Chasin' · · Torrance, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 25

Ya, lets all just hate on surfers! Trust me they are ALL douches. And when they fall it doesn't hurt. Not to mention they piss in their wetsuits.

matthewWallace · · Sandwich, NH · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 8,257
tongmengjia wrote: Did you really just post a link to a facebook pic some guy posted of himself climbing a highball to prove how NOT douchey bouldering is? My bad, it IS V3. Is that guy sponsored or what?!
He is actually a good friend of mine and the grade doesn't really matter it was just to prove to you that you can be exposed and run out and scared bouldering... It's not douchey it is just a good example :)

The point is that we all climb, right now I am stoked into long trad routes AND bouldering (please all jokes welcome). I just don't see why one style has to be better than another, if you don't like it, that's fine just don't hate on all people who like a different style of climbing than you.
Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
tongmengjia wrote: I don't hate boulderers, but I do think climbers that exclusively boulder are missing the entire point. They're eating the frosting (which is delicious) and mistaking it for the cake.
So by your definition John Gill is a punter. Something wrong there.
KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

The best day of bouldering I ever had was near our bivy the afternoon before climbing Sharkstooth. I was sore on the Sharkstooth climb from all of the bouldering.

I don't boulder much for the same reason I don't play full contact football, even though I love both. I want to try to stay functional enough to climb and ski for as long as possible.

Loophole · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0

Because they stink and are filthy and have foul mouths.

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

There is really good bouldering footage starting at minute 30:

snagfilms.com/films/title/b…

Dusty · · Fort Collins · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 210
tongmengjia wrote:I love the gymnastic side of climbing, I love feeling graceful and powerful as I move over the rock. But that's just the icing on the cake. Rock climbing is ultimately about self-control. It's about having the patience and endurance to keep hiking even when your cold, uncomfortable, and exhausted. It's about not freaking out when you're high above your last piece of pro and in an insecure stance, but instead staying calm, finding the right piece, and placing it correctly even if your hands are shaking. It's about being self-reliant enough to save yourself if you get caught in the middle of a thunderstorm and have to bail from four pitches up.
I think you've got it backwards. Rock climbing IS about movement on the rock. "Cold, uncomfortable, exhausted, freaking out, shaking hands, saving yourself"? Are these really the reasons you climb? Sounds a little masochistic to me...
George Heib · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 30
Dusty wrote: I think you've got it backwards. Rock climbing IS about movement on the rock. "Cold, uncomfortable, exhausted, freaking out, shaking hands, saving yourself"? Are these really the reasons you climb? Sounds a little masochistic to me...
But aren't we all a bit masochistic if we climb? Who else can come home with bloody fingers and body parts and say, "Now that was a fun day." I know I am a bit guilty of this one and I believe it happens in all forms of climbing; however, probably the main reason I am not quite a fan of off width. You guys are the main culprits of masochism.
Ternes · · Littleton, Co · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,860

We've all got egos. Mine says what I do is the best thing to do. Yours probably feels the same way.

mega dittos to Ol' Toby

James Arnold · · Chattanooga · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55
Dudemanguybro wrote:. Bouldering is easy, and not the least bit impressive. With enough tick marks and padding any yak-dick can learn how to do a few hard moves.
Shhhhhure....

blackdiamondequipment.com/e…

many other examples would suffice...haters...it might be interesting to take some of that bouldering skill on a rock like El Cap...
Choss Chasin' · · Torrance, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 25
James Arnold wrote: Shhhhhure.... blackdiamondequipment.com/e… many other examples would suffice...haters...it might be interesting to take some of that bouldering skill on a rock like El Cap...
Just playing devils advocate. Here are two quotes from the journal.

"At 45-feet tall, it is neither a route nor a boulder problem. It features a 20-foot V12 to a reasonable rest where you can decide to either drop or continue. From the rest, you have a 5.13a to solo."

"Holding two pinches that are almost too wide for my hands to fit around, I lost my edge and realized the seriousness of the situation. I was soloing."

So actually Jorgenson says it himself. He wasn't bouldering, he was soloing. Which we all know is way more bad ass then trad, sport, bouldering etc. Sorry I just had to point that out.
Dylan Colon · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 351
James Arnold wrote: it might be interesting to take some of that bouldering skill on a rock like El Cap...
Done.

matadornetwork.com/sports/i…
justin dubois · · Estes Park · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 530
Kevin Brooks Henry wrote:Why?
I hate everyone, not just boulderers.
CJ Coccia · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 35
Ian G. wrote:It's kind of like being a surfer and seeing Johnny Utah paddle out on his funboard.
excellent reference
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "What's up with people hating boulderers?"
in the Community Forum

Log In to Reply