Mountain Project Logo

Thumb pain

Original Post
Shawn L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 0

My hand has really swelled up between my wrist and the base of my thumb. The big fleshy section that you hand jam with is the problem. It flared up in July after jamming an overhanging hand crack. It has bothered me off and on for months. Any clues as to what the ailment is and how to cure it. I have done the usual "R-I-C-E" with no real success.

Aerili · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,875

Without you giving any details on what it feels like, what motions (or lack of) cause pain (and whether active or passive motions), quality of pain, what makes it feel better, etc. it's really hard to help you more.

Otherwise, all I can say is it may be De Quervain's, trigger digit, compartment syndrome....If this has persisted for going on 3 months, a visit to a hand doc is really in order. Persistent injuries that are not treated can have long term, serious effects on joint health.

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

As doctors go, I'm fairly conservative and will often go w/ a wait and watch approach, especially if it's not a an obvious injury.
In this case though, A's suggestion is right on. Persistent pain that doesn't change or go away especially for months (I'd be concerned w/ just a few weeks) is indicative of a more serious issue that warrants having a professional look into.

If indeed the hand jamming caused the injury my best guess would be some kind of injury to the metacarpal phallangeal joint on the thumb. It's pretty doubtful but the mechanism of injury could be consistent w/ a stress fracture in the same area.
My suggestion would be to seek out a good orthopedic hand surgeon and see what they have to say. If you don't need a surgical fix then no big deal, you can then pick your favorite rehab therapist and go from there.
good luck,
BA

stefen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0
Shawn L wrote:My hand has really swelled up between my wrist and the base of my thumb. The big fleshy section that you hand jam with is the problem. It flared up in July after jamming an overhanging hand crack. It has bothered me off and on for months. Any clues as to what the ailment is and how to cure it. I have done the usual "R-I-C-E" with no real success.
I will suggest you to try some antibiotics with physician's help. You may also require physiotherapy.
Jon Weekley · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 70

prolo therapy.

Carol Hotchkiss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Ok, so I have a weird pain in my thumb pad. It happens when the thumb pad is depressed by anything that pushes it in. And it can be anything a pen, a lock, a brush, if it pushes either of my thumb pads to much, (and for normal people this would not cause any pain) I get a horrid pain that shoots up to my wrists. The doctors have not found anything. Could it be a case of the nerves being to close to the surface of my thumb pad? I did it again yesterday when using the twisty light switch on my bedside lamp. And the pain will ache for a couple of days. Has anyone else had this and what have your doctors said? I did not know where else to post this.

Christian Wagner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I think I have a similar injury: Thumb pain that I can trace back to climbing a steep thin hands crack about 4 months ago. Still just the motion of bringing thumb towards palm is painful. I really thought this would go away but hasn’t. My theory is a tear to one of the ligaments supporting the metacarpal phallangeal joint. 

Anyone have experience with getting this resolved? 

Im Sorry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

You probably crushed the Joint Capsule.  I did it working construction.  Didn't hurt at first then it hurt pretty solid for like a month.  Went away.  Was still able to climb, not pain free though.  Swimming helped along with running to get more blood flow and just switch it up.  Crank on your fingers for a little on some nice big jugs.

Carol Hotchkiss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0
Christian B wrote: You probably crushed the Joint Capsule.  I did it working construction.  Didn't hurt at first then it hurt pretty solid for like a month.  Went away.  Was still able to climb, not pain free though.  Swimming helped along with running to get more blood flow and just switch it up.  Crank on your fingers for a little on some nice big jugs.

Never had any injury to the fingers or hands

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Thumb pain"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.