Mountain Project Logo

Where to get cams re-wired?

Original Post
DMDM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 10

I have several cams that have broken wires. Is there anyone who can fix these? Where can I send them? Thanks...

Aaron Martinuzzi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 1,485

i've used the Cam Doctor self-repair kit with mostly good results - expect a couple "failures" before you get proficient at it. a couple units that i've repaired have come un-swaged because i didn't tighten them properly/enough.

also, your first repair will probably take a while; mine took me like 40 minutes - i expected about 15. like i said, it's worth the money, but it is a skill you have to hone.

oh yeah, you can also send them back to the manufacturer for repairs, but in my case DMM was going to charge me like 20 bucks a unit plus shipping. i think Fish products repairs trigger wires, too.

DMDM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 10

Thank you

Tomaz · · Lakewood, Colorado · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 5

I also recommend getting yourself a Cam Dr kit ( thecamdoctor.com/). The price is right for this kit ($45 at Neptune's in Boulder), and far cheaper than trying to find micro swages and piece one together on your own.

These days, unless you can find NOS trigger kits tucked away in the back of your local mountain shop, your options for getting older cams back on your rack consists of either rigging some temporary, less-than-optimal fix or sending them back to the factory for a repair and the inevitable "extended stay."

I've been able to repair a variety of different cams at a fraction of the cost of aftermarket trigger kits or factory repairs. With a little practice, my repaired cams work and look as good as they did when they came from the factory - matter of fact, I think they are better and will ultimately last longer!

Kit paid for itself quickly, but best of all, I scored lots of beer off my buddies for fixing their cams too!

Tom

Mike Diesen · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 365

If all your doing is repairing broken trigger cables you can get the cable and swags at any hardware store for few dollars. I've fixed several cams with broken cables this way. Just cut the the wire right at the old swags, cut a piece of cable the length you need and crimp it to the wire using new swags and a pair of dikes.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

Mike, get yer keester back to work. Don't they have mp.com blocked on the proxy server over there?

So far they've only blocked darylclimbingnude.com. Damn!!!

Allen Hill · · FIve Points, Colorado and Pine · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 1,410
Jimbo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,310

David,
When cam trigger wires finally fray and break that is your clue that the cams are no longer safe and should not be used. I will, however, take your old useless and unsafe cams off your hands to use in my sculptures. Ya that's the ticket...sculptures...
Let me know when I can pick them up.

Allen Hill wrote:
Nice temporary fix there Allen! I've made many similar short-term "fixes" to my cams over the years... Indeed, that will get you by for awhile. I still recommend the kit to anyone looking for more solid and lasting repairs. The picture below shows the results I get using the Cam Dr kit.

As for picking up the cables, swages, and crimping tool at "any hardware store" - I say good luck with that! Before breaking down and buying the kit, I searched around (Denver) for all the components and quickly found that buying the swages, tool, and cable seperately was WAAAY more expensive than buying the actual kit... At least for the amount of cable and swages I needed.

Just saying....

Tom

Trigger wire repairs with Cam Dr. kit.

You must be a rep for Cam Dr :-). I picked up enough cable (bought by the foot) to do everyone cam in my rack and still have some left over, and swages for 4 cams at Home Depot for less than $10. I already had the dikes but you can buy a cheap pair for around $5.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

swages must have come from the electrical isle huh?

how does the swage bite into the smooth wire? does it ever slip?

Nope, not affiliated with Cam Dr in any way. Just a satisfied customer who has been fixing his own cams for years...

Mike - I'd like to see a pic of the swages you are using. Better yet, post-up a pic of one of your repairs.

I've only found large size aluminum swages at my local HD, Lowes, and Ace. Nothing in the electrical section either. The larger swages would have worked, but they are quite a bit wider in profile than the copper. I believe the larger, bulkier swages would be more prone to getting hung up on stuff. Cheapest I've found the crimping tool for by itself was $29.95 (Lowes).

Mobely - I've had no slippage. Bite into the the smooth wire with the tool slightly to provide a rough spot or two before crimping with the swage.

Tom

Mark Vogel · · Lander, WY · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 35

A good trick is to hammer off the old swage(most likely where the old cable separated). After the new cable is swaged, a dab of epoxy at the cable-attach point is useful. Also, heat shrink wrap (available in the electrical section) around the swage and cable-attach point is useful.

Marc Squiddo · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 15
CO_Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 956

Send them to Wired Bliss.

Wired Bliss Repairs

They will hook you up.

They can fix the whole trigger setup: wires, sleeves, and HEADED SPOKES.

No more getting you cams fixed with bent over wires. That stuff gets hung up on everything.

Allen Hill · · FIve Points, Colorado and Pine · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 1,410

The duc tape fix is amusing but as I climb mostly with Friends, I've ordered many trigger kits from Wild Country. They are a very simple way to get the job done. I would assume the other companies also offer such kits.

The duc tape fix was done in The Valley of the Gods after I had put a few of the broken wires deep into my trigger finger during a placement. Taped the offending wires and good as new. Perfectly safe I might add.

Andy Main · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

If your are in the UK or Europe order a from thecamdoctor.co.uk for fast delivery. Same kit as from America but will arrive in a few days. Also dose cam repair with a send return service but only used the kit.

David Appelhans · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 410

The swages are the only hard thing to come by in a reasonable size. I got some 1/16" braided wire at the hardware store for $0.7/foot. I'm thinking something along these lines might work for the crimps though,

billfishtacklesupply.com/Te…

I only need to repair one cam, so the cam dr $40 price tag is more than I want to pay.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Bump. Looks like cam dr. Site is down. 

Any youtube vids of how to fix cam wires?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Where to get cams re-wired?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started