What does your Woody look like???

Nate Fye · · punxsutawney pa · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Thanks for the info woodchuck! I put washers and nuts on the backside where she hangs the hammock from but I will definitely reinforce a few different types nuts in the roof part with extra 3/4 plywood for hanging from!

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

It should help. I saw a big guy haul off a one t-nut dyno at a comp, and he ripped the hold right through the 3/4 plywood sheet. And it was the starting hold for all, so that messed up the equalness of the comp after replacing off to one side.! Amazing how much leverage a hold, or an eye bolt, can put on a t-nut when given more than just dead weight.

Shane O'Donnell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 5

I know it's not much, but I'm working out of town in a place without a gym. I wanted a way to maintain and even grow my hand strength while away from any climbing for weeks at a time. This freestanding hangboard set-up took me 15 minutes to build, and I can move it from rental to rental as I'm working out of town. Still have to mount the pulley system, and build a ledge to secure my phone in the middle.

Bonus: Materials were all free scavenged from work

Freestanding hangboard set-up

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I'm still waiting for someone to have an internet meltdown, post a photo of their real "woody" and get banned...

A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Shane O'Donnell wrote:I know it's not much, but I'm working out of town in a place without a gym. I wanted a way to maintain and even grow my hand strength while away from any climbing for weeks at a time. This freestanding hangboard set-up took me 15 minutes to build, and I can move it from rental to rental as I'm working out of town. Still have to mount the pulley system, and build a ledge to secure my phone in the middle. Bonus: Materials were all free scavenged from work
Get some 'G-strings' devices, or just Metolius rock rings to hang, and a couple bucket climbing holds to bolt up on the back side, and you can do some nice swinging turns to rotate to other side, blind move not seeing the hold,,,,for a bit of variety too.
Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 10,337

I've been following this thread for years without a woody/home training setup and it's been great to get ideas from others. I'm psyched to be able to contribute to the thread, finally.

We bit the bullet last fall, bought a 10'x12' Tuff Shed and built a Moonboard (with additional t-nut grid for more hold options) in it. It's tight but it's a full-size Moonboard and it's been working out great. We also have an adjustable/removable hangboard setup and a removable campus board I designed.

If you're considering a similar setup or interested in ideas, I put together a detailed blog post about the process and setup.

Moonboard plus extra holds

Adjustable Rock Prodigy hangboard setup

Swole Hole

Kevin Stricker · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 555

Sweet job!

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,030

Very nice, Jason!

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,956

Now we cooking on gas......

Jason Halladay wrote:I've been following this thread for years without a woody/home training setup and it's been great to get ideas from others. I'm psyched to be able to contribute to the thread, finally. We bit the bullet last fall, bought a 10'x12' Tuff Shed and built a Moonboard (with additional t-nut grid for more hold options) in it. It's tight but it's a full-size Moonboard and it's been working out great. We also have an adjustable/removable hangboard setup and a removable campus board I designed. If you're considering a similar setup or interested in ideas, I put together a detailed blog post about the process and setup.
It's like a Frank Lloyd Wright house I can use up in Wisconsin: Way more space and use inside than meets the eye from the appearance outside. Nice set up!
Joe Forrester · · Palo Alto · Joined Aug 2005 · Points: 1,065

Plenty of wood blocks for spacers.! I had used half inch bolts, washers and nuts placed every couple feet to either space or pinch together my boards to make the crack change shape along a 20 ft. length of 2 by 8's or 2 X 10's. For both vertical and horizontal cracks.

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,085

The latest iteration
Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130
Tavis Ricksecker wrote: The latest iteration
Can´t see the pic.
coreyt1337 · · manchester nh · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

My woody used to be small, but has grown in size over time

Any ideas for cool features I can add for more entertainment?!
--- Invalid image id: 112495396 ---

--- Invalid image id: 112495401 ---

Current state

The cave, roof coming soon?

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,085
llanSan wrote: Can´t see the pic.
can you see it now?
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130
Tavis Ricksecker wrote: can you see it now?
Woooow...

Yes I can
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25
Tavis Ricksecker wrote:The latest iteration
Gah....
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply