Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like???

Nate Fye · · punxsutawney pa · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Thanks for the info woodchuck! I put washers and nuts on the backside where she hangs the hammock from but I will definitely reinforce a few different types nuts in the roof part with extra 3/4 plywood for hanging from!

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110

It should help. I saw a big guy haul off a one t-nut dyno at a comp, and he ripped the hold right through the 3/4 plywood sheet. And it was the starting hold for all, so that messed up the equalness of the comp after replacing off to one side.! Amazing how much leverage a hold, or an eye bolt, can put on a t-nut when given more than just dead weight.

Shane O'Donnell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 5

I know it's not much, but I'm working out of town in a place without a gym. I wanted a way to maintain and even grow my hand strength while away from any climbing for weeks at a time. This freestanding hangboard set-up took me 15 minutes to build, and I can move it from rental to rental as I'm working out of town. Still have to mount the pulley system, and build a ledge to secure my phone in the middle.

Bonus: Materials were all free scavenged from work

Freestanding hangboard set-up
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

I'm still waiting for someone to have an internet meltdown, post a photo of their real "woody" and get banned...

A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Shane O'Donnell wrote:I know it's not much, but I'm working out of town in a place without a gym. I wanted a way to maintain and even grow my hand strength while away from any climbing for weeks at a time. This freestanding hangboard set-up took me 15 minutes to build, and I can move it from rental to rental as I'm working out of town. Still have to mount the pulley system, and build a ledge to secure my phone in the middle. Bonus: Materials were all free scavenged from work
Get some 'G-strings' devices, or just Metolius rock rings to hang, and a couple bucket climbing holds to bolt up on the back side, and you can do some nice swinging turns to rotate to other side, blind move not seeing the hold,,,,for a bit of variety too.
Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 11,814

I've been following this thread for years without a woody/home training setup and it's been great to get ideas from others. I'm psyched to be able to contribute to the thread, finally.

We bit the bullet last fall, bought a 10'x12' Tuff Shed and built a Moonboard (with additional t-nut grid for more hold options) in it. It's tight but it's a full-size Moonboard and it's been working out great. We also have an adjustable/removable hangboard setup and a removable campus board I designed.

If you're considering a similar setup or interested in ideas, I put together a detailed blog post about the process and setup.

Moonboard plus extra holds

Adjustable Rock Prodigy hangboard setup

Swole Hole
Kevin Stricker · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 575

Sweet job!

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,065

Very nice, Jason!

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,956

Now we cooking on gas......

Jason Halladay wrote:I've been following this thread for years without a woody/home training setup and it's been great to get ideas from others. I'm psyched to be able to contribute to the thread, finally. We bit the bullet last fall, bought a 10'x12' Tuff Shed and built a Moonboard (with additional t-nut grid for more hold options) in it. It's tight but it's a full-size Moonboard and it's been working out great. We also have an adjustable/removable hangboard setup and a removable campus board I designed. If you're considering a similar setup or interested in ideas, I put together a detailed blog post about the process and setup.
It's like a Frank Lloyd Wright house I can use up in Wisconsin: Way more space and use inside than meets the eye from the appearance outside. Nice set up!
Joe Forrester · · Palo Alto · Joined Aug 2005 · Points: 1,175

As a general surgery resident, I don't have a lot of free time. So I created this pain cave after converting my garage in Palo Alto.....

Here is the pano shot.

Pano shot of the woody workout den

Essentially a hangboard with a kickstand....

Hangboard

And a campus board with sa kickstand. I have small and large rungs alternating.....

Campus board

And a horizontal crack machine to run laps on roof cracks of all sizes.

Horizontal crack machine

Here is a shot from the underneath of the crack machine. It is 15' long and dead horizontal. High enough up that you can flip and run laps. All sizes from 0.5s to stacks. Brutal.

The business side of the crack machine

Plenty of wood blocks for spacers.! I had used half inch bolts, washers and nuts placed every couple feet to either space or pinch together my boards to make the crack change shape along a 20 ft. length of 2 by 8's or 2 X 10's. For both vertical and horizontal cracks.

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 1,905

The latest iteration
Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130
Tavis Ricksecker wrote: The latest iteration
Can´t see the pic.
coreyt1337 · · manchester nh · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

My woody used to be small, but has grown in size over time

Any ideas for cool features I can add for more entertainment?!
--- Invalid image id: 112495396 ---

--- Invalid image id: 112495401 ---

Current state

The cave, roof coming soon?
Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 1,905
llanSan wrote: Can´t see the pic.
can you see it now?
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130
Tavis Ricksecker wrote: can you see it now?
Woooow...

Yes I can
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25
Tavis Ricksecker wrote:The latest iteration
Gah....
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply