Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like???

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,249
Seth Jones wrote: The problem with the moon board for most people is that it requires 3.15m ceilings which is over 10'.
But the last move on most moon board problems is easy compared to the lower moves, so if you don't have the height you just end the moon board a bit lower and can still do the lower (and harder) moves. My moon board is only 8 feet tall for reference.
DanielRich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 5

I also have a short moon board. I only have 9 ft 2 inches and I squeezed the moonboard in fairly well. I shortenened the kickboard and moved the rows a little closer. It is still awesome(although dang hard)

Johnny Kipp · · St Albert Alberta · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 100

What is the key to making sure that you don't build a wall and get bored of it quickly? How many of you with a Woody still goes to the gym all the time instead of using their own wall?
Is there a guide out there to help a rookie out with route setting?

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610
Johnny Kipp wrote:What is the key to making sure that you don't build a wall and get bored of it quickly? How many of you with a Woody still goes to the gym all the time instead of using their own wall? Is there a guide out there to help a rookie out with route setting?
Variety, difficulty, friends, motivation. NNITO.
Eric K · · Leavenworth, Washington · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

I am going to build a wall 16' Wide on my back patio (Concrete slab). Since I'm renting it must be freestanding and it cannot be anchored to the house and I cannot sink support posts into the ground. I have three questions...

How tall do you all recommend I go? I was thinking somewhere between 10-12, I will be falling on crash pads over concrete so I'm worried about going too big.

I want at least 3" of width to be at 15 degree angle as a dedicated campus board, but what angle do you think the rest be? I have plenty of HARD boulders very close to where I live so I can't decide if I want steep terrain to practice "limit" moves or more moderate terrain to work endurance since that is what I can't work very well on real rock locally.

How should I support it, and is there a good free app/software thats easy to use to design it? I have tried google sketch up and it seems like so much more work than a pen and paper. Is there a more idiot friendly option?

llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130

pen and paper works, you are not building a rocket.

do it simple. mine is free standing in a room because i didn't want to damage the walls.

I build a big box with studs, then frame the wanted angles, then put the plywood. is heavy so it has no movement. the stud from the top of the box are biger.

I have all measurements in centimeters but in this forum you can search for the standard studs for wall and ceilings.

Johnny Kipp wrote:What is the key to making sure that you don't build a wall and get bored of it quickly? How many of you with a Woody still goes to the gym all the time instead of using their own wall? Is there a guide out there to help a rookie out with route setting?
In my case, i live in a place where no one climbs and that's the reason i build it. that is motivation enough but sometimes is difficult to climb alone. try to get my wife involved but she keeps saying the woody is dificult (easyest angle is 20 deg.)So I disassemble a part of the woody to build a flat angle. its been like that for two months now.

Conclussion:
1)Try not to climb alone.
2)If you have someone to climb with (kids, wife, grandpa)think of them when you build it (or buy holds).
3)Doing changes to the wall after you finish it is discouraging.
Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,140
Sanllan wrote:....Conclussion: 1)Try not to climb alone. 2)If you have someone to climb with (kids, wife, grandpa)think of them when you build it (or buy holds). 3)Doing changes to the wall after you finish it is discouraging.
His first point is crucial. Unless you're a training fanatic, having people to share your home wall with is the key to not getting bored.
frank bonnevie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 86
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,110
Sanllan wrote: In my case, i live in a place where no one climbs and that's the reason i build it. that is motivation enough but sometimes is difficult to climb alone. try to get my wife involved but she keeps saying the woody is dificult (easyest angle is 20 deg.)So I disassemble a part of the woody to build a flat angle. its been like that for two months now. Conclussion: 1)Try not to climb alone. 2)If you have someone to climb with (kids, wife, grandpa)think of them when you build it (or buy holds). 3)Doing changes to the wall after you finish it is discouraging.
As far as 'getting bored'...it does happen. My backyard wall is now 22 years old. I didn't get bored in year two, I just loved to 'putz around like any hands on kind of home repair person loves to do,,,and added 'upgrades' every few years,,,besides new holds and samples from new companies out making holds. It's nice to have variety. I've not 'rebuilt' any section or change it due to being discouraged. I just upgraded, re-designed, added a feature, a new shape or volume, or whatever I saw elsewhere and tried to copy or duplicate on my wall. It's fun to add on, redo, build and reshape , refine the design to add something challenging or more fun fun FUN to play on.
Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,140
Wednesday night session

11 of us in my barn tonight, working projects and encouraging each other. This keeps it real fun.
Brianstonelake · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

This thread was the inspiration for me to build a woody for my son. I have no carpentry skills, but went slow, learned as I went, and finally had something to climb about a year ago. I forgot to post the finished product, so here it is.

If you want to play with the panorama, it's uploaded here and here

Thanks for the inspiration!

My Garage Woody

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

My Woody is NSFW!

A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Not a woody exactly, but it is made mostly of wood! Cost next to nothing to build out of things I had lying around. None of the biners, cord, pulleys, or webbing are climbing rated, so they will never leave the house. It is amazing what you can do for cheap. I have already realized gains in strength and power after a few weeks of training on this simple setup.

If I get ambitious, I'll build an outdoor woody this fall.

The lag screws were replaced with carriage bolts

The "gym"

A. Michael wrote:
NICE
jackson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 45

for those with a moon board out there, do you suppose that there is enough room bet err the grid for more holds? Example, the grid is on a 8" square, could you put another t-nut/hold in the middle of each square. Since what everyone seems to say is that the moon holds/problems are small, fingers, HARD I feel like there must be some accessible space between all the crimps for more positive warm up holds.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90
jackson wrote:for those with a moon board out there, do you suppose that there is enough room bet err the grid for more holds? Example, the grid is on a 8" square, could you put another t-nut/hold in the middle of each square. Since what everyone seems to say is that the moon holds/problems are small, fingers, HARD I feel like there must be some accessible space between all the crimps for more positive warm up holds.
Not a moon board setup, but on an 8" grid.
The hanger should give an idea of scale.

8" grid
Dan Austin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0
jackson wrote:for those with a moon board out there, do you suppose that there is enough room bet err the grid for more holds? Example, the grid is on a 8" square, could you put another t-nut/hold in the middle of each square. Since what everyone seems to say is that the moon holds/problems are small, fingers, HARD I feel like there must be some accessible space between all the crimps for more positive warm up holds.
http://boulderingathenscounty.blogspot.com/2016/07/building-moonkilter-hybrid-board.html
Tobias Burgess · · Lincoln · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 30
T Burgess wrote:
smart
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "What does your Woody look like???"
in the General Climbing

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.