Mountain Project Logo

Utah alpine ice fall 09

Original Post
Orphaned · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 11,560

any body seen any? freeze thaw is here no doubt.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Dan,
The Alpine stuff probably won't be in for a couple more weeks. I will start pilgrimages the first of November. That is usually when the ice is coming in.
Dallen

Stefano Verde · · salt lake city, ut · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 10

SHORB!!!!! I'm game.

tenesmus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 3,023

I saw some little 1 foot chunks of ice on the dirtsicle driving back from moab last weekend.

The first ice to come in in Utah(that I know about) is on the back of Timp. 2 hour hike to get to it but really fun for first ice. I will be up there the first weekend of November to check it out if anyone wants to come along. The next place to look is Mary's lake down in Joes Valley, if there isn't a lot of snow you can 4x4 to the base of the climbs down there I will be heading down there in November as well. Any takers... I really think the Uintahs has some great potential for ice. I am thinking The North slope --Blacks Fork or Red Castle areas. I know there are some great falls in the Naturalist basin but they would be in the sun. Anyone up for a winter trip into any of these areas...

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Sunny-D wrote:The next place to look is Mary's lake down in Joes Valley, if there isn't a lot of snow you can 4x4 to the base of the climbs down there I will be heading down there in November as well. Any takers... I really think the Uintahs has some great potential for ice. I am thinking The North slope --Blacks Fork or Red Castle areas. I know there are some great falls in the Naturalist basin but they would be in the sun. Anyone up for a winter trip into any of these areas...
Another place to keep in mind, and, was looking thin but possible are the three gullies to the left of the Y Coulior. They all looked like they had at least wet streaks and maybe some thin early season ice in them.

They are, from left to right, approximately WI 2/3 5 pitches, WI 3 3 pitches and WI 3/4, 3-4 pitches.

Yeah, keep me in mind. I've looked in the Uintas a number of times without much luck.

Cheers!

Timp and Mary's lake are both really good Ice. We should put together a crew to head down to Mary's Lake. 2nd or 3rd weekend of Nov. You can see the ice if you look at the skyline looking across Joe's Valley Reservoir, so you don't even have to drive all the way up to the climbs. There are several climbs there in the grade 4-5 range so there are lots of options to climb. Definitely worth the drive. Timp as several climbs that come in as well. This year should have a really good collection of climbs on Timp. with the early snow. I have climbed up to 6 pitch long climbs up there. Most are 1-3 pitches, just depends on the year.

I would love to go check out the climbs by the Y coulior. Brian would you care to show me around up there?

Its coming...
Dallen

Sunny-D wrote: We should put together a crew to head down to Mary's Lake. 2nd or 3rd weekend of Nov. You can see the ice if you look at the skyline looking across Joe's Valley Reservoir, so you don't even have to drive all the way up to the climbs.
It can be kinda hard to see if ice is in or not, or, if its just snow. High powered binoc's come in handy.

Also, be careful with any avy potential there. Slopes leading up to the base of some (all?) of the routes is prone to avalanches.

Sunny-D wrote: I would love to go check out the climbs by the Y coulior. Brian would you care to show me around up there?
Sure, but, if they're in, they're really easy to see from the road. Got to get 'em done before the snow gets too deep, else they go completely under and get buried. Definatly early season action for sure.

I have climbed the ones up in primrose cirque. Really fun climbs but they are inconsistent in coming in. I have seen the ice over by the grunge but it was early spring and they were not climbable when I saw them. I would be very interested looking at them this winter.

jtwalter · · Orem, UT · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 806

Something to wet your whistle.

Stairway to Heaven

Bridal Veil

The Fang

Post Nasal Drip & Miller's Thriller

Soft 'n Juicy

I know that it'll all melt before next week, but it's something to look forward to.

Matt Jesperson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 140

I was told the dirtsicle is climbable, as of 3-4 days ago.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 2,084
Matt Jesperson wrote:I was told the dirtsicle is climbable, as of 3-4 days ago.
We drove by it Saturday and it wasn't shit yet, must've taken off.
ddriver wrote: We drove by it Saturday and it wasn't shit yet, must've taken off.
Yeah, ARS and I drove by it last saturday too, and, was about 3/4 in but not filled in at the top.
Matt Jesperson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 140

Photo from Shane Hall's climb of Dirtsicle on Wed.

Eric_Dacus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 75

Would anybody be in favor of a return of utahiceclimbing.com or something like that?

The site was a central repository of information (use at your own risk) from the various forum sites that get posted to for this kind of thing?

I ran utahiceclimbing.com for a season and got a lot of flame-email telling me who I could and could not quote from the forums and it was more trouble than it was worth.

I still check about 5 sites and resulting threads all winter, but don't repost the info anywhere. its not a lot of work for me to do so, but i don't want deal with the flak.

Would this be something that folks would be interested in seeing return?

Christian "crisco" Burrell · · PG, Utah · Joined May 2007 · Points: 1,815

Bring it bud! Any up o date info in the ice would always be welcome with me.

jtwalter · · Orem, UT · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 806

Anyone know anything about the routes in Echo Canyon listed in the Ice Climbing Utah guidebook? I was out there today and it looks like there are 'No Trespassing' signs in the areas described by the book.

Alec L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 632

Eric, I'd be happy to see its return as well. I was considering doing it myself, actually -- let me know if you need any help, I have quite a bit of experience building websites.

Eric_Dacus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 75

Thanks for the responses, and so this doesn't hijack the thread, I'll work on getting something back up and running after the holiday.

Jason Wiggins · · Draper, UT · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

Have fun with the project Eric. I would love the info as well.

alpinebumm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

I'd like to head down to slide lake next week I have to drive from Portland, does anyone know if its in? Anything else in the area in? Anywhere?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Utah alpine ice fall 09"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started