Mountain Project Logo

Farley Ledge Access Situation

christopher adams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 0

Thanks for complying with the landowner's request. It is appreciated.

Peter Gill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10

Thanks to all at MP for honoring the local landowners wishes and supporting local climbers efforts to keep Farley open for everyone.

As a local I am willing to assist new visitors to Farley with route info. Send me a PM.

If you want to get involved and support this project please visit the WMCC website at: westernmacc.com. Right now we could really use $$$ because there is no such thing as free parking....

Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255
Dudemanguybro wrote:You are not allowed to climb at Farley.
No, no, no. You misunderstood. YOU aren't allowed to climb there. The rest of us are fine.
Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255
colin rickert wrote:Dudemanbro/JulianM, You guys should come climb at Bolton some time. I'd be happy to show you around. I am not being sarcastic either. There's enough climbing in New England to keep everyone happy for a long time to come so no need for trolling. For the record I was at Farley this weekend and had a great time. The townsfolk were super friendly too.
Thanks for the offer, Colin. I've got a friend who took me around some of the Bolton crags a few years back and you've definitely got the good there.

I was just playin' about the access issues at Farley, especially considering that any local will hook you up with info there as long as you're respectful of the parking/access situation.
Peter Gill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 10

Additional Parking is available in two other places if the main lot is full. Directions and map are available at the Kiosk in main parking lot. Both areas are just off of Rt 2 and require only a slightly longer approach.

1. Old Parking Lot - Briggs Street just east of main lot entrance - Limited to 8 cars - Access to cliffs via M&M trail head directly from lot.

2. Farley Road - opposite Briggs Street is Farley Road. Head south and down hill short distance. Parking is just across the steel bridge that crosses the Millers River. Access to cliffs is via M&M trailhead at old parking lot or walk Rt 2 (caution) to main lot.

Please note both overflow parking areas are on private property. Parking is allowed with their permission. Be respectful of signs and parking area limits and other users. Don't blow it for the rest of us.

Greg DeMatteo · · W. Lebanon, NH · Joined May 2007 · Points: 315

Farley was one of the first places I climbed at back in 1993 or 1994. We bushwhacked like some of the other people did who have posted in this thread. A while later we found someone who knew more about the place who gave us the low down on parking and access and how not to piss the local residents off. The lesson there is that the the solution to access problems is MORE information, not less. If 2 high school kids in the pre-internet age could find out about Farley and go traipsing around looking for it then I'm afraid that all this "keeping it a secret" is a moot point in 2010. If you post the info, along with a big warning that access is an issue and how to avoid creating more of an issue then you're doing the responsible thing. Anyone who gets that info and creates a problem anyway was almost certainly going to create a problem without your information.

Jeff Squire · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 5

Everything you need to know about Farley, aside from route information, can be found on the WMCC website. The landowner's who own the property where the climbing is located, have asked that we not publish information to their property. We are able to climb at Farley largely because of this understanding and generosity.

Brian Croce · · san diego, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 60

the parking lots are alwyas overflowing and the crag is always packed every given weekedn anyways.

All limiting route info is doing isforcing people to be friendlier and ask their neighboors what the grades are.

its not doing anything to prevent an already very highly traffic area crag.

turbotime · · CT · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 0
superkick wrote:the parking lots are alwyas overflowing and the crag is always packed every given weekedn anyways. All limiting route info is doing isforcing people to be friendlier and ask their neighboors what the grades are. its not doing anything to prevent an already very highly traffic area crag.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Farley Ledge Access Situation"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started