Mountain Project Logo

4 X 8 Woody Excercises

Original Post
Shane Zentner · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 205

Good Morning. I have a small amount of time(and space) to build a 4X8 woody that overhangs approximately 60 degrees. Indeed, I might have room to make it wider, however, that will come with time. My wife and I recently(Oct 22) had a baby boy, and, I will spending more time at home. My question is this; can someone please give me ideas on training excercises and how to design a pattern for holds, and, what holds to purchase? I'm completely open to ideas and suggestions. All suggestions are welcome, even smart ass comments are good as I know how MP works :)

Please keep in mind a sheet of plywood 4X8.

Thank you,

Shane

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669
Shane Zentner wrote:All suggestions are welcome, even smart ass comments are good
"woody" ha.ha.

there. now that that is out of the way, how big of a room do you have to work with? ceiling height?
Christopher Bastek · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 45

Seems to me the best use for your limited space would be a system training wall. You basically use specific types of holds(i.e. crimps,2 finger pockets, etc.). I have one set up in my living room and we'll warm up w/o any weight then climb with a scuba weight belt on. It can sometimes get a little boring so it helps to have someone to train with or a specific goal to reach. I used holds made by Three Ball Climbing and are very happy with them. Check them out @ threeballclimbing.com.

Jon B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 105

4x8 isn't much, however the first one I built was a 4x8 campus board. Pretty much what your discussing, at about 60 degrees, with a hang board at the top. I made and screwed on wooden wrungs at different depths. having this little thing in my room really got me strong fast. Since then I have just gotten fatter, older, and balder.
Good luck. I may have a picture or two somewhere

Nate Farr · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 65

I have essentially the same set up, except that it has a 2 foot kicker on the bottom. Mine is set up at 45 degrees. It has to be a system board, as there are only so many two move boulder problems you can do. Check out "How to Climb 5.12" for ideas for setup. I basically have serious of holds set up so I can keep going up and down with my hands or tools. Mountain Athlete occasionally has some good system wall workouts posted where you can turn on the punk rock and pretend you're not climbing on a 4x8 piece of plywood.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "4 X 8 Woody Excercises"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.