Mountain Project Logo

Yet another dog thread

P LaDouche · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 15

Internet wankfest, guys, go get laid OK? Its not as easy as a 5.10 for all you tough guys but it sure beats wanking in front of the world.

Ken Cangi · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 590
Ronin wrote: p.s. inbreeding and strange offspring were first perfected by the Egyptians, then the Europeans, who first settled in N. Am in- you guessed it- the NORTH (you know, the Pilgrims, Plymouth Rock, etc?).
Then why this ubiquitous public health message on four different news stations in your Southern corner of the map?

Here

here

here

and here

Maybe it's those recessive genes that compel folks like you to want to stab people's pets with trekking poles.
P LaDouche · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 15
Ken Cangi wrote: Then why this ubiquitous public health message on four different news stations in your Southern corner of the map? Here here here and here Maybe it's those recessive genes that compel folks like you to want to stab people's pets with trekking poles.
Cangi knows, he is or was a bad ass spurt climber. Staff too?
Russell Holcomb · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 15
douche' wrote: Cangi knows, he is or was a bad ass spurt climber. Staff too?
Home boy, your name is douche, correct?

Did your parents give you that or did you choose it for yourself?
patrick wild · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 30

Some of you know me and Crowley and might find this as funny ~well sort of~ as me.

I was sitting at my local coffee shop a few weeks ago, with Crowley leashed, enjoying a caffeinated beverage. A pretty girl walks up to me with a precious little French Bulldog on leash and asked if my dog is friendly. I had noticed that the bulldog was still intact, and since my dog likes to eat other dogs with their balls, I respond, "No, he's not nice to other dogs." She said, "Oh, ok." Then bent over and unleashed her 15-20lb. French Bulldog. I was dumbstruck, I wanted to shout "wait no don't do that" but the words didn't come out. The bulldog immediately charged my 95lb, old, miserably hot, grumpy poodle chewer. Crowley grabbed that thing by the neck and shook for about fifteen seconds before I could get him to release.

So, of course, me and my dog are the "bad guys" and several other patrons are now asking us to leave. I hung around just long enough to see that her dog wasn't ripped open or severely injured. C'est la vie.

So, my point is... um....

What up Rusty, Hanky and the rest of the Front Range dog lovers!

Russell Holcomb · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 15

Some of you know me and Crowley and might find this as funny ~well sort of~ as me. I was sitting at my local coffee shop a few weeks ago, with Crowley leashed, enjoying a caffeinated beverage. A pretty girl walks up to me with a precious little French Bulldog on leash and asked if my dog is friendly.

You know my philosophy: 'all's well that ends well...in bed'. I don't mean Crowley and the poodle. Or you and Hank, or me and Hank, or you and me and Hank and anyone else. I was referring to you and the pretty girl. Just so we're clear.

patrick wild · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 30

Oh, it could have ended better... in bed!

You know, hangin at the coffee shop, see a pretty girl, make eye contact, exchange smiles, she's walking my way, things are looking good...

CRAP her dog has testicles I'm not getting laid, again!

patrick wild wrote:Some of you know me and Crowley and might find this as funny ~well sort of~ as me. I was sitting at my local coffee shop a few weeks ago, with Crowley leashed, enjoying a caffeinated beverage. A pretty girl walks up to me with a precious little French Bulldog on leash and asked if my dog is friendly. I had noticed that the bulldog was still intact, and since my dog likes to eat other dogs with their balls, I respond, "No, he's not nice to other dogs." She said, "Oh, ok." Then bent over and unleashed her 15-20lb. French Bulldog. I was dumbstruck, I wanted to shout "wait no don't do that" but the words didn't come out. The bulldog immediately charged my 95lb, old, miserably hot, grumpy poodle chewer. Crowley grabbed that thing by the neck and shook for about fifteen seconds before I could get him to release. So, of course, me and my dog are the "bad guys" and several other patrons are now asking us to leave. I hung around just long enough to see that her dog wasn't ripped open or severely injured. C'est la vie. So, my point is... um.... What up Rusty, Hanky and the rest of the Front Range dog lovers!
Although Ronin's troll post is yet another glaring example of taking things over the top, Patrick's point is not lost on me. I've had so many run-ins with irresponsible dog owners, over the years, that I've lost count. Most of us have been there.

And, unfortunately for dogs that have had encounters like Crowley's, it is not the owner who suffers the biggest consequences. Patrick, you were probably asked to leave because it was your dog that did the damage. I can understand why the coffee shop owner or manager would want to remove what he or she considered a dangerous liability at their establishment. Regardless of who was at fault, scenes like that are bad for business. Moreover, had a patron been bitten in the melee, there would have been a major lawsuit and possible charges brought against you.

Climbers do need to do a better job of keeping their dogs under control. It is not okay that your dogs run all over people's gear and ropes while you are two pitches above. Not only is it inconsiderate to the other climbers, it can be a dangerous distraction for someone who is trying to keep your dog off of their gear while they are also trying to safely belay their partners.

I've met some great dogs at the crags, and I've encountered some real nuisances. However, I don't blame the dogs. I blame the irresponsible owners.
Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,320

On the way to work ths morning I just heard that Colorado Springs was voted "The dog friendliest city in the nation". I don't expect the dog count at the Perch will get any lower in the near future.

mike mullendore wrote:Jokes about the South, that's original!
Come on, Mike. You couldn't have missed the point of the South parody. Does anyone even think past the first syllable before responding in here? It's no wonder there is so much dissension in these threads.
Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255

[begin dogthread]

Dogs are bad at the crag.

No, dogs are great.

[trolls]

[random homophobia] (I know, it was a hilarious joke.)

[random anti-south taunting] (Also a hilarous joke!)

[end dogthread]

Who doesn't love the webternets?

Clothing status: twice beshirted (at work)
Dog status: no dogs present

JulianM wrote:[begin dogthread] Dogs are bad at the crag. No, dogs are great. [trolls] [random homophobia] (I know, it was a hilarious joke.) [random anti-south taunting] (Also a hilarous joke!) [end dogthread] Who doesn't love the webternets? Clothing status: twice beshirted (at work) Dog status: no dogs present
That about wraps it up.
Jon Cannon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 410

Actually, the thread started off as: I'm not interested in debating whether dogs are bad at the crag, but if you want to bring your dog, please leash them.

After that, though, your summation was spot-on.

Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255
Jon Cannon wrote:Actually, the thread started off as: I'm not interested in debating whether dogs are bad at the crag, but if you want to bring your dog, please leash them. After that, though, your summation was spot-on.
This particular thread is just a variation on the dogthread theme. The opening post, while often cogent and well-thought out, inevitably leads to the traditional dogthread shenanigans.
Joey Wolfe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,020

The Dude: What's in the fuckin' carrier?

Walter Sobchak: Huh? Oh, that's Cynthia's dog. I think it's a
Pomeranian. I can't leave him home alone or he eats the furniture.
I'm watching him while Cynthia and Marty Ackerman are in Hawaii.

The Dude: You brought the fuckin' Pomeranian bowling?

Walter Sobchak: What do you mean brought it bowling, Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude.

Hank Caylor · · Fruita, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 618
mike mullendore wrote: greatest movie ever made!
Agreed!!!

When the thread turns to "the Big Lebowski" phrases. We are near the end. See ya' at Bridge Day folks.....or Eldo(no dogs, usually).
jarthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 290

I remember my first road trip from NC to Vegas, J-Tree, and Bishop a few years back. Our first stop was Red Rocks in Vegas at the Gallery on a crowded Winter weekend (hey we had no idea). Anyway for the 20 or so climbs on that wall the lines were about 5 deep and the number of dogs was nearly half the number of people.

As my partner was cleaning the anchors I turned around to watch an unleashed dog walk over to his hiking boots and pee write into them. Once I confronted the owner about his unleashed dog he completed denied that his dog pee'd into the boots, I guess I was seeing things. What a prick!

I always find it interesting that everyone at every crag: The NRG, Shelf Road, RRG, Red Rocks, etc... has the same guide book that I have and most people have read it thoroughly, either completely missed, or ignore the topic about pets, "Be considerate of others and keep your dog on a leash. Some people don't think Fido is such a wonderful pet." It's right there, I've read it in every book. I love both my pets, but unfortunately if it's only two of us climbing that day there will not be anyone to control my pet while we're climbing so I opt out on bringing them. Smith Rock does not consider tying your dog up beside you as controlling your pet and will hit you up with a pretty heavy fine if you are not physically holding your pets leash at all times.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Yet another dog thread"