Mountain Project Logo

Smallish haul bags.

Original Post
AloneAbalone Knight · · Barrie, ON · Joined May 2008 · Points: 25

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a haul bag that is fairly small, sturdy, and would be useful for day climbs?

I was looking at the BD Stubby as a potential.

Thanks, GraemeK.

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

i own a metolius sentinal and like it alot. better suspension than the BD stubby, slightly larger (2800cubes, stubby is 2100), but with no drain hole! i like the top flap pocket better than the interior pocket on the BD. both are bomber. i also use mine as a crag pack, so i am biased with the features. the stubby is probably better as a full-on sub bag but may be a little too small. i used to have metolius express, but is not as bomber as the stubby, although the same size. express is intended for occasional hauls, and i tore holes through mine after a dozen or so hauls. hauled about the same with my sentinal, and has hardly any sign of wear.

if you want one for day climbs, and dont intend on trying to fit a desert rack, water, and rope in it, than the Stubby is probably the ticket. In my experience, the Sentinal is just about right for hauling on day climbs, where the little extra room is helpful, and is more functional on the wall. can stuff extra pro, belay jackets, approach shoes, and water for the day. top pocket is easy to get to at the belays. but not as many daisy chains to clip stuff on as the Stubby.

My partner has the Stubby for the same kind of application, and i dont think he has any complaints. i dont know what the price point difference is, if that matters.

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

oh, and the obnoxious bright orange color of my Sentinel makes me stick out like a construction cone on those sketchy Clear Creek roadside approaches!

;)

Darren,

Thank you for your reply - most concise and very much appreciated!

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,756

My FISH Atom smasher is the way to go. For years I used a variety of packs from LOWE to ARC’TERYX but they always had the same problem. Ease in getting a rope bag in/out was such a hassle.

Eventually I started carrying my Atom Smasher full time and couldn't be happier. It's burly, has an inside pocket (free upon request), collar for closure and extra space & removable straps for travel on flights. It's good.

Also, a secret issue "biscuit" is a custom size circular pouch that fits in the bottom or top of pack for incidentals such a TP, clippers, extra shirt, snack bar, etc. It's not on the FISH site but available for purchase if you ask nice.

Just my 2 cents. These days it's hard to go wrong with any of the products out there. It's unlikely any of which would blow out when used for regular cragging. But with a FISH bag, your guaranteed for life.

~Susan

fishproducts.com/catalog/ha…

Hey Susan,

Thanks for the heads up on the Atom Smasher - I never considered this brand as I've not seen it in Canada, but I will look into it for sure!

Rgds, Graeme.

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

My present crag bag is a Metolius Shield haul pack. At 1900 ci it is not quite big enough some of the time, but it's never a good idea to have the biggest pack in your crowd...

Pros:
1. Burly material. After 5 years it is still going strong.
2. Top pocket for keys, wallet, etc. It could be bigger...
3. Padding for the back is removable.

Cons:
1. Choosing black colored material for the top is retarded, your snickers will melt even on cool but sunny days. Fish's white vinyl is the smartest color out there, I wish Metolius would wise up and at least stop using the darker colors for some of their haul bags, but that's a different thread.
2. Shoulder straps are a bit narrow and not well padded, so when loaded up with cams it cuts into the shoulders. There is no sternum strap, and the waist belt is also unpadded.
3. Stock padding for the back was 1/4" and sucked. You have to pack carefully or a cam lobe would dent your spine. I replaced it with a chunk of 1/2" blue foam from a wal-mart blue sleeping pad, and it is hugely improved.

I kind of with it would wear out so I could justify trying out an atom smasher.

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,756

Moof, the cam in the back I think is just the nature of the beast of using a haul bag for a crag sack.

I pretty much have it wired putting the ropebag in the bottom with gear on top. Any spare clothing or jackets always gets stuffed where my back is.

I swear I'll never go back to a regular pack. I was temporarily romanced by a Fish Pesca Pack (no longer available) because it's got a top flap that comes down. Unfortunately, it's tapered at the waist which makes it great for the ladies but same old problem of not being able to easily get a ropebag stuffed in/out of the bottom. So, without ever leaving my Atom Smasher I was back to it.

As for color choices, when reading your post I couldn't help but think of the old Boreal Aces. Remember the black with Green? Your feet would heat up so badly on walls you wanted to jump to your death just to escape it.

~Susan

John McNamee · · Littleton, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 1,690

I have the metolius sentinel haul bag and I like it a lot. Hauls and carries well. I also use it as a crag bag after wearing out so many expensive packs. I went with a light color to keep things cooler.

Moof · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 25

Susan,

With 1/4" stock foam I had to pack very carefully, and still ended up with something poking me half the time. 1/2" foam weighs practically nothing, and I have to pack the thing pretty badly to suffer.

I thankfully never had to suffer in aces in the sun. I got a pair of the black and green ones off ebay way back, but they were just a smidge too small so I never took them out. Eventually they went to a bro with smaller feet, and an even smaller wallet. I did get to laugh a a fellow who was using Mad Rock Sharks on a sunny Jtree day. They were black with full wrap over the toes rubber. Poor bastard had to remove them at every belay and got sunburnt feet!

Two things show up with black stuff:
1. It looks cool. Hard to argue, black trimming just looks spiffier to most folks (me included).
2. Something I'm much more aware off now that I sew a lot of my own stuff: It hides pretty horrible sewing really well! Colored thread doesn't ever match colored fabric well, and gets dirty differently than fabric, so no matter what only black on black keeps dirtbag sewing from looking like dirtbag sewing (or south vietnamese, or chinese, or...).

Otherwise black fabric is just a stupid outdoor color choice.

Still just LOVE my pink fish bags though!!! Russ must have gotten a great deal on that shade...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Smallish haul bags."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started