Mountain Project Logo

Plastic holds bolted on Utah rock?!

Richard Radcliffe · · Erie, CO · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 225
mikewhite wrote:Who wants to go clean this up with me? I dont know where they are so it would be nice to have someone show me the location.
Don't know for sure, but I'm betting you'll find them in photoshop...
Jim Garrett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

A previous poster said "I found these, they consist of 6 holds, in an 8 square foot area, about 7 feet off the ground." I have not seen these myself, but I would guess this is the work of a boy scout or someone similar and not a serious climber. That paved trail gets hundreds of people along it every week, that spot is not the sort of place a serious climber would go to boulder, and it's not like we are lacking in plenty of real rock here in Utah. It probably isn't a bad idea to clean it up; it will create a bad impression amoung non-climbers using the trail if they see it. Hopefully this sort of thing will not catch on; I have never bought plastic holds but looking in the gear catalogs them seem kind of expensive. If the person who did this finds their $80 in plastic jugs missing maybe they will think twice about doing it again. mikewhite, if you do the clean-up, thanks for the effort. That probably isn't your favorite way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Jim Garrett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

The holds on the big sandstone boulder might be a manipulated image, I do not see anything chalked up; someone with photoshop and too much free time on their hands. If someone really did do that to a piece of rock they are pretty messed up.

mikewhite · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 55

Saurday it is. Anybody want to help out?
Hopefully the prick that did this will be there working on his proj, so I can glue and bolt a asca hanger on his forehead.

bsmoot · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 3,184
mikewhite wrote: Hopefully the prick that did this will be there working on his proj, so I can glue and bolt a asca hanger on his forehead.
Easy now Mike! Be nice to the guy...try using just a dull drill bit.

Me thinking hand drill and a 5\8 bolt.

Sounds like everybody has time to whine on the net, but no time to clean this up.
Come on ,less typing more work.
I will bring the beer.

Bump

I guess I will be solo on this one.

Whose Andrew Christianson?

Andrew is you mother luke

The Larry wrote: Don't mess wif teh "J" route. Dat's mine.
You claimed it.
Now it is your route.

Not drunk yet but workin on it bro.

So ...serious what do you know about this bull shit route?
Or are you just bored like me and posting crap.

So what did you mean by the J route is yours?
Just Trolling?

The Larry wrote: Some can handle the fire water. You can't. Go to bed. Stop typing.
No fire water in utah tonto.
Why you got some?
White man no share.

I will now be known as the (THE MIKE)
Because (THE LARRY) is my idol.

Come on do you know anything about them holds or are you just talking shit?

Nice troll
It was fun. Obviousy you did not do this ,and you are as drunk as me.
If you did do this just show up saturday so we can have a chat.
Later Lorie

Lee Jensen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 935

Mike, what time are you going to be there? I can't make any promises, but if I can break free for an hour or so I will swing by.

Lee Jensen

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

you were kidding about bringing a generator up there right?
I'd think a hammer and a cold chisel would do it in about 5 minutes.
better hope the BYU football team didnt glue them on, them guys are big and dumb.

mobley wrote:you were kidding about bringing a generator up there right? I'd think a hammer and a cold chisel would do it in about 5 minutes. better hope the BYU football team didn't glue them on, them guys are big and dumb.
Nope not kidding about the generator.
I figured if Glue was used then a grinder with a wire wheel would get it off.
I plan on cleaning this up and not leaving a bigger mess than I found.
If bolts were used then all holes will be patched.
Just bought my first cold chisel.

Definitely not worried about the byu football team. (WWW.opencarry.org)

Love your declaimer Jason.

I went and looked at the plastic today at lunch. The location is .3 miles up the trail from the intersection of Orem 8th north and University Avenue. As you walk up the canyon you will walk over the bridge next to the old train bridge. Continue on for about .2 miles. Just as the trail bends to the left look a the rock out crop directly off of the trail to the left.

Someone has cleared the foliage at the base and laded down landscaping bark. There are eight holds ranging in height from four to twelve feet. Six of them are coated in what looks likes liquid nails. The holds are not too bright in color, but the glue highlights them. Someone obviously went to a lot of work, but it doesn't make sense why they would do this. Too easy and short for bouldering. Poor location for climbing since there are no bolts for protection and little natural protection.

Getting the holds off shouldn't be too hard. Getting the glue off will be a pain. A ladder will be required to access the top holds.

Picture of the location:

The more I think about this the more I think it might be possible that it was the Provo (or perhaps Orem) park service that put these holds on.

My reasons for thinking so:

1. It is right off the trail with a chipped bark path and landing area.
2. It only goes up 10 feet. Too low to get hurt.
3. The holds are juggy. 5.6 kinda stuff.

This just doesn't sound like a climber. I can't imagine why anyone would go through this trouble unless it was the park service and they are trying to add little recreational stopping points on the trail.

With this said, I don't want to call them in case they didn't do it, because I don't want them to know about it if they don't already. But I also don't want to rip it out if they did do it.

Mike White perhaps you could call them as a representative of the ASCA and confirm that they don't know about it and if they don't, offer that the climbing community would like to volunteer to remove it.

Dispite the crappy rock in Provo Canyon I would hate to see it shutdown for future development because it has amazing potential.

What do you think?

Lee Jensen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Plastic holds bolted on Utah rock?!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started