Mountain Project Logo

Annoying photo resizing in forums!

Original Post
Peter Zabrok · · Hamilton, ON · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 645

I see that if I try to post one of my photos [uploaded to another website] in one of my forum posts, it is resized. Besides being small, the photo loses resolution. I carefully resize my photos to look good in an internet forum, 700 pixels of width being optimum for most places.

What's the deal here? Is there a way to defeat the photo resizing? I know it's possible to defeat it if the photo is already uploaded to this website, but I have tons of photos uploaded other places already, so why should I have to copy a bunch over here, which takes up "space" on your server anyway?

Can somebody come up with a coding that allows a photo to be posted without resizing it, please?

Andy Laakmann · · Bend, OR · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,990

If you are posting a photo within a forum post, and the photo is larger than the "resized" size, just click on the photo and you will view the larger image.

Photos (are just displayed) to a maximum size in the forum posts to prevent people's sometimes excessively large photos from breaking the page layout... which is very frustrating for people if they aren't tech savy - they get lost on the page if they can't see the scroll bars, etc.

But a larger version of the photo is available by clicking if the photo is-in-fact larger than the displayed size.

The currently selected size, though it looks small on most people monitors - is actually what is required if someone's browser is 800 pixels wide... which is still a common browser size, particularly on older laptops.

So this solution is simply a compromise to keep most users happy, knowing that the big photo is just a click away.

Andy

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Annoying photo resizing in forums!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started