Mountain Project Logo

Soft spots on a Beal Rope

Original Post
Nick Stayner · · Wymont Kingdom · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 2,315

I've had 2 Beal Flyers (the 10.2 mm one) over the last 2 seasons and both of them developed a worrisome problem. I've heard the old piece of climber's wisdom that says when you pinch a bight of rope, it shouldn't be able to fold all the way onto itself. There should be a small amount of space- otherwise, it's time to retire the rope. Sounds reasonable, but I've had the same problem on both of these Beals, but they both developed these "soft spots" early in their lives. Wihout seeing any falls over 10-20' or any other kind of "extreme" wear.
Anybody else have this problem? Is there something about the construction of these ropes that tends to make them softer? Is the rope pinch trick a load of crap in this case?

Nate Oakes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 235

I've noticed Beal ropes wear out much more quickly than most other brands. My buddy had one that didn't survive 3 months of non-abusive cragging before he had to retire it.

Lee Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2003 · Points: 1,545

I had a Beal rope, a 9.7 Booster III, develop an alarming flat spot on one end, which I cut off and it is now marked 59 meters.

John Calder · · Spokane, WA · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 235

A long time ago I got a Black Diamond rope, wich if I'm not mistaken were actually Beal ropes. I don't think they did this for long, beacuse my rope sucked. It got flat fast, all the way down the rope. Looking up it in a TR setting you could see the twist from the flat spot. I've stayed away from Beal ever since.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Soft spots on a Beal Rope"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started