Mountain Project Logo

questions for Hell Is For Heroes and Eagle Rock on Mt Lemmon

Original Post
joe E lee · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 280

On Hell is for Heroes, after you exit the crack/groove and pull the large plates, you encounter a slab and large bulge. Where do you pull over the bulge? Would anyone mind if a bolt was placed here. I escaped right to fixed anchors.

Does anyone know the name and grade of the four bolt slab route left of Lyin' Eyes? It is on the next slab downhill from Desperado. Whoever put it up. Thank you. It's a sweet climb.

Charlie King · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 5

Hell, NO! No bolts on old classics.

Jimbo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,310

The route get and R, and is a classic. No new bolts. If your too afraid to lead an "R" route then stay off it, don't dumb it down to your level.

j fassett · · tucson · Joined May 2006 · Points: 130

Is this a serious post? Why would a climber from Nevada (perhaps visiting) even inquire about adding a bolt to an existing route in Tucson? Were you joking about the R rating comment? "300 feet with no protection" What routes are these?

JF

David Sampson · · Tempe AZ, · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,207

I am not well versed in these matters, but I found a web site that offers some insight:

stuorg.iastate.edu/mcc/semi…

I would suggest, based on the 1980 seriousness factor developed by James Erickson, that a 300 foot run-out would qualify as an "X" and thus not an "R".

(Not sure how "serious" this thread is....)

da

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "questions for Hell Is For Heroes and Eagle Rock…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started