Mountain Project Logo

January in moab

Original Post
Shaun Greene · · www.UtahShaun.com · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 445

Having never climbed in moab during the winter, I am curious as to the average temperatures this time of the year. Anyone have suggestions of some good south facing areas in the sun 5.6-5.11 sport or trad that are especially good in winter. Hopefully these parameters are not to broad. I prefer traditional crack lines but must be south facing. Towers would be really good.

Sam Lightner, Jr. · · Lander, WY · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,732

Days are short. You really oly get 4 hours or so of climbable time on sunny days. Snow takes a while to melt and the rock takes even longer to dry out. Nights are long and cold. Accordingly, there are no crowds.

Ben Kiessel · · Durango, CO · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 5,248

Fine Jade, and Kor Ingalls are two good winter routes, and are both classics.

Dan 60D5H411 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,239

First time I ever went to Arches was in January...it was covered in about 6 inches of snow. Not sure if that is typical or not. That being said...just did Jah Man(10b/c) on the Sister Superior group a couple of weeks ago. Sunny all day, suprisingly not windy for a tower (Castleton tower tried to blow me off during every route I have done on it), and the climbing is stupendous! Wall Street is usually a warm, sunny cliff offering a ton of routes in the 5.8 and above range.

Dan Godshall

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "January in moab"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started