Mountain Project Logo

Cerro Romualdo Access Issue - Letter from Camp Commander

Original Post
Slater · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 441

RE: Access Issue at Romualdo... letter sent March 21,2006 by camp commander -

We have determined that your request for access to Cerro Romualdo for the purpose of recreational rock climbing is a non-military request for a high risk, non-doctrinal and unfunded recreational activity. Although your request for access is reasonable; it is subject to the rules and procedures prescribed in Camp San Luis Obispo (CSLO) Regulation 350-1, dated 1 July 2002. The approval to conduct this activity therefore is contingent upon a favorable environmental review, reversal of current Judge Advocate General (JAG) position on prohibition of such activity on National Guard property, and a strict adherence to Federal, State, and local laws (including CSLO Regulations) and applicable safety guidelines for the conduct of such activity.

An initial review of your request by our environmental staff has determined that the proposed activity requires environmental documentation per the California Environmental Quality Act. This process must be started with an Initial Study which must result in a Negative Declaration stating this activity holds no potential for negative impact on the environment. However, if it is determined that this activity does hold a potential for adverse impact, a Comprehensive Environmental Assessment of the area and associated activity in question must be accomplished at no expense to the California Military Department. The Environmental Assessment must determine the extent of risk to the environment and any mitigating measures that may be taken to accommodate this activity. In either case, you, as the project proponent, will be required to fund the Initial Study and any subsequent required environmental review. If you choose to provide funding to accomplish the necessary studies and subsequent mitigation for this recreational activity, our environmental staff will gladly work with you as the lead agency.

Upon completion of the environmental review, and the receipt of a Negative Declaration or a favorable Environmental Assessment, the CSLO Operations Directorate will work with you to develop the best protocol for conducting this activity safely and in concert with the primary mission of CSLO. The agreed upon protocol will then be forwarded to the Judge Advocate General’s Office for review and recommendations. These recommendations will be incorporated as necessary; the final revision will be reviewed by me, or other designated representative, for final approval. All protocol measures will be focused on insuring safety and a high standard of environmental stewardship.

Mr. Slater, I further invite you to download CSLO Regulation 350-1, so that you may become familiar with the installation’s use policies. This regulation can be found on the internet at:

calguard.ca.gov/cslo/Operat…

Much of the information contained in this regulation will be incorporated into the protocol for use of this facility, should the aforementioned actions accommodate this type of activity. I have included a brief synopsis of this regulation as an enclosure to this letter. Please review it at your leisure. I am also forwarding a copy of this letter to Mr. Katcho Achadjian, San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors, Ms. Karin Driesen, Times Press Recorder and Ms. Deanne Buck of The Access Fund. Please contact my Director of Operations, CPT Mario V. Acevedo at CML (805) 594-6512, or e-mail at mailto:Mario.Acevedo@us.army.mil, if you should have any questions. We look forward to working with you on this worthwhile endeavor

Sincerely,

KELLY A. FISHER

Lieutenant Colonel, California Army National Guard

The National Guard leases this land from the State of California.
Anyone know why a private party would have to pay for an environmental study?
Wouldn't that burden fall upon the land owner like in all other cases where development of a property is halted due to environmental issues? Any experts out there...?

Mike Anderson · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 3,130

I'm not involved in this in any way, but it seems to me that since you are requesting to use their land, it only makes sense that you would pay for the EA.

It would be very easy for them to tell you to go take a hike, so I think you should be happy they are even willing to deal with you. I believe the AF has sponsored EA's in the past.

Ken Klis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 175

This can be a huge task, or a rather simple formality. What needs to be discovered is what prior environmental review documents exist and if they are accessible ((archaeological study, biological studies (sensitive species of flora / fauna), historical sites, maps and boundaries)).

If a prior environmental determination has been made (which legally is probably required) for military activities or other use at this specific site, then adopting its format, maps and studies would be rather simple. The determining agent would have a simple task as well, as long as the climber's impacts are described and/ or mitigated for. Considering impacts are all on existing trails and routes, the only real concerns are erosion and if any sensitive species or cultural site indeed exist near trails or routes.

M. Morley · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 6,610

This thread has been moved ?here?.

Stephen Pratt · · Goleta, CA · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 15

Any recent news about Cerro Remauldo? I'm assuming access is still restricted. That's a shame they closed it. I've climbed there about 4 times and absolutely loved it every time. Cerro and I have some history, (it's where I ticked my first 5.11 lead) and I've been itching to go back ever since. I read on the Access Fund website that they're working with you guys to get access back to this crag. If there's anything I could do to help then let me know. Thanks.

Well, we're just about done with some of the environmental review stuff, so we'll see what the next step is. Yes, it is a rad place and I'm hopeful you'll be able to go back there some day. Stay tuned...

Al Graves · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Geez guys, are you gonna take this kind of bureaucratic stuff sitting down?

Take him up on the offer to write an environmental assessment. You guys can run a computer can't you? Climbing leaves such a small environmental footprint, it shouldn't be too hard to write an environmental assessment that says just that.

Don't take this kind of crap as gospel. The U.S. Gov. loves to live behind a smoke screen of compliance crap. Challenge them just as you would a 5.14. Take them on.

Just a little kindly advice from a retired veteran of the good ole US of A (33 years) who also happened to be a professional climber and professional rope access technician for the feds for over 15 years.

Climbon

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Cerro Romualdo Access Issue - Letter from Camp…"