Mountain Project Logo

Projecting: Rope vs Boulder

Original Post
Camdon Kay · · Idaho · Joined Mar 2021 · Points: 2,845

I have been reflecting on my own climbing as of late, and I noticed that I project boulders relatively often, but usually just climb what I think I can flash for sport and trad. Is this just a matter of accessibility (i.e. it might be more convenient to project boulders to due ease of finding partners, time per attempt, etc.), or preference?

My question for you all is, which climbing style do you project the most in, and why?

Ricky Harline · · Angel's Camp, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 147

the headpoint style of top roping something that is too scary to lead (runout, bad or tricky gear, sketchy landing and high first bolt, whatever) and getting to the point of leading it comfortably is immensely satisfying.

Victor Creazzi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2022 · Points: 0

I'm old, so I feel projecting with a rope is safer for me than bouldering.

Go Back to Super Topo · · Lex · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 285
Victor Creazzi wrote:

I’m in the same boat but have the opposite approach, my body can’t take constantly climbing up a sport route just to try a hard section….or even worse, trying a continuously hard route with multiple cruxes. I feel like I can handle a few really hard moves fairly close to the ground (at whatever pace I want) much better. 

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205
Victor Creazzi wrote:

Exactly this. Hips, knees and low back can no longer take the repeated craters. I’m also too crotchety to roll with a posse and gazillion pads. Bouldering was fun when I would roll up by myself and just one or two (or no) pads. 

ZT G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2020 · Points: 50

Personally I’d say I project more on rope, but when I thought about it after reading op I realized I don’t project stuff with a partner so my results may be vastly different in an area unfriendly to trs. 

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 457

Projecting a boulder is so much easier than projecting a rope climb. I do both though. 

Salamanizer Ski · · Off the Grid… · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 18,914

Depends on what time of year it is.

But I prefer roped projects. Bouldering is too high impact, which wears your body down too quickly and leaves you more prone to injury. Unless you’re 20 something. 

Camdon Kay · · Idaho · Joined Mar 2021 · Points: 2,845
Salamanizer Ski wrote:

Bouldering is too high impact, which wears your body down too quickly and leaves you more prone to injury. Unless you’re 20 something. 

I'm 20 something, and bouldering routinely causes pulley issues for me that roped climbing does not. I boulder much harder than I roped climb though, as I mentioned

Jordan Wilson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 45

I mostly just ebb and flow between rope and boulder based on what seems inspiring/enjoyable movement.  Clipping chains usually gives me the most dopamine however.   

Andrew P · · North Bend, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 448
Camdon Kay wrote:

I have been reflecting on my own climbing as of late, and I noticed that I project boulders relatively often, but usually just climb what I think I can flash for sport and trad. Is this just a matter of accessibility (i.e. it might be more convenient to project boulders to due ease of finding partners, time per attempt, etc.), or preference?

I am in a similar boat to you. I mostly climb on ropes, but I usually climb routes that are near my onsight/flash limit instead of projecting routes. I fall fairly often, but it's usually just one or two falls on the first attempt so I don't go back for the redpoint and just claim the mootpoint. However, when I boulder I spend lots of time projecting. 

I think you are right that it is just more convenient to project boulders for all the reasons you mentioned, although one of my goals for this year is to project more routes! I have climbed with a few people that spend lots of time projecting routes, and it does seem like an acquired skill that you can work on and improve at. 

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

I am small brained, and the lack of progress on boulders really pisses me off. If I don't feel like I make any progress within an hour of being on a boulder I give up. There is only one boulder problem I have spent more than 24 hours on. 

With sport climbs if I am not making progress, I also generally give up. There is only one route I have done, that I wasn't even sure if I could hang dog to the top. Fortunately progress sport climbing is more immediate. 

Not Trevor · · Anywhere dry · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 17
Princess Puppy Lovr wrote:

I am small brained, and the lack of progress on boulders really pisses me off. If I don't feel like I make any progress within an hour of being on a boulder I give up. There is only one boulder problem I have spent more than 24 hours on. 

With sport climbs if I am not making progress, I also generally give up. There is only one route I have done, that I wasn't even sure if I could hang dog to the top. Fortunately progress sport climbing is more immediate. 

Weird flex, but you still didn’t answer the question….

I definitely project boulders more since it’s significantly easier to get people (or nobody) to boulder than it is to find partners stoked on the same roped project. 

Rollin · · SLC, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 959

I exclusively project routes. Lately, the few times I've been bouldering outside, I'll go for flashes and whatever i can send in a few tries that session. It's not a matter of accessibility, I just prefer routes.

I'm also built for routes better than boulders, and personally I find the fitness challenge and length of routes to be more engaging.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Projecting: Rope vs Boulder"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.