Mountain Project Logo

High Sierra winter rock routes?

Joe Kubicki · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
Dave Schultz wrote:

Great info here, thanks a ton!  

Looking for anyone who might be intetested in any of these this weekend? Sat-mon (15-17 Jan). Ill be skiing at baldy on friday so ill be in the neighborhood. Opem for C2C or bivy on the route.

Re footware: probably mtn boots (or ski boots) assuming its within ability. Harder terrain I'd have rock shoes available, probably just one pair for the group as insurance. With lots of harder terrain rock shoes for everyone with socks for extra warmth.

Cheers,

Dave

239-two-three-three-2oo2

Joe Kubicki · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0

Hi Dave and All,

I’m looking for a partner for Temple Crag and NR of LPP. I’d like to do these this winter if possible. Anyone down?

Dave Schultz · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2021 · Points: 5

I'd be interested in heading to temple crag and/or north palisade zone this weekend. I think skiing is probably trash but i'd definitely be game to climb. Sat looks like less wind but sun looks like clear skies,  temps in the 20s - not too bad.

LMK

Cheers,

Dave

239-two-three-three-2oo2 

Ryan G · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 275

Great thread!

Was going to post about potential ski-climb tour in April when i saw this.

Thinking nice to get beyond the crest into the backcountry and do some real ski touring and hit a couple routes over a week. Challenging to find good aspect climbs.  some thoughts.

1. Charlotte Dome and Bubbs Creek Wall (anything under 5.11?) or East Face Clarence King and Fin Dome

2. Clyde Minaret and E Ridge Banner.

3. White Peregrine, Granite Park and E Ridge BCS or East aspects Seven Gables (not sure on that aspect but can't beat the setting). or lower Paiute Creek (forgot info on this but big south facing walls)

4. Tower Peak, Hoover Wilderness...maybe not great aspect and angle slabs.

5. Arctic Wall and Wallace area ? (besides Whit/Russ trade routes) Ski touring not to appealing in here

6. Silver Divide

Ryan G · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 275

1. Hamilton lake with excellent south facing formations (if approach wasn't brutal this would probably be at my top)

Tanner James · · Sierras · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 640

Mt. Russell was also totally dry when I was up there last weekend, although that approach is also an event. I think most non north facing high Sierra routes are ready to go right now just a snowy approach 

Haven’t been there recently but I’m confident temple crag would also be good, at least one or two of the routes on it 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "High Sierra winter rock routes?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started