Mountain Project Logo

Quick Links

Daniel Chode Rider · · Truck, Wenatchee · Joined Sep 2020 · Points: 7,484

What dost we think about using plated for chain permas? Not a marine/rainforest environment, but I have some ClimbTech permas as well and the quicklinks as well as the rest is plated steel. Might as well save the SS quicklinks for the anchors, huh?

hillbilly hijinks · · Guantanamo Bay · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 181

The only justification for plated is being a cheap bastard. I've done it too.

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695
Daniel Chode Rider wrote:

What dost we think about using plated for chain permas? Not a marine/rainforest environment, but I have some ClimbTech permas as well and the quicklinks as well as the rest is plated steel. Might as well save the SS quicklinks for the anchors, huh?

Plated chain is usually not good. Use galvanized chain and it will last much longer. CT permas do ok, but proper plated chain will turn on you in just a few months.

@Previous replies

...And yes, using plated QL's is a cheap bastard move, but if you would like to donate to the cause, bring SS links with you to the Red and change them out yourselves. The community will thank you.

Daniel Chode Rider · · Truck, Wenatchee · Joined Sep 2020 · Points: 7,484
Matthew Jaggers wrote:

Plated chain is usually not good. Use galvanized chain and it will last much longer. CT permas do ok, but proper plated chain will turn on you in just a few months.

And yes, using plated QL's is a cheap bastard move, but if you would like to donate to the cause, bring SS links with you to the Red and change them out yourselves. The community will thank you.

Lol, I meant for my own routes. And it isn't plated chain so to speak, it's polished steel, but still not stainless. Seems a lot better than galvanized. But I could be wrong.

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695
Daniel Chode Rider wrote:

Lol, I meant for my own routes. And it isn't plated chain so to speak, it's polished steel, but still not stainless. Seems a lot better than galvanized. But I could be wrong.

The second paragraph wasn't directed at you. Sorry about that.

Galvanized chain seems to last a lot longer for me than plated chain and CT Permas... whatever their process is.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Quick Links"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started