Mountain Project Logo

Partners Needed Ecuador May-June-July

Original Post
Mitch Dorsk · · Durango, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 91

Looking to link-up with someone to trad/ multipitch climb in Ecuador in either late may/june/ or early july. Have not booked flights yet but will once plans are confirmed.

I lead up to 10a/b crack, 9+ face, and will try hard on 5.10 OW. I will not have gear but will be traveling with shoes and harness. I am interested in exploring Columnas de Tangan and Cojitambo. There is not much info on this site about either but they look AMAZING. Willing to spend 3-5 days in Columnas (is there a hostel?) and 3-4 days in Cojitambo. I am open to suggestions.

I am also planning to backpacking to the Crater Lake near El Altair and climb either Cotopaxti or Chirizambo with a guide. If you have any suggestions for an affordable guide, please let me know. Really any beta accepted. My Spanish is minimal at best but I can ask for the basics. Traveling solo. Hope to hear back! Let's send!

Dylan McIntosh · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 5

Check out San Juan (La Chorrera), basalt canyon with a 5 minute approach from the parking lot, cheap camping (or hostels close by). You pass this crag on the way to Chimborazo from Riobamba so it might be worth a day or two if you are headed that way. I used to have some topos for the canyon, but can’t seem to find them now, you might need to chat with locals for the beta as the route info seems buried if it’s on the net at all.

I used ecosportour in Quito to hire guides for Cotopaxi and Chimborazo. No complaints, some outfitters have better rental gear if you need it, but will be a little more expensive. 

Thanks Dylan,

Appreciate the beta. Were you solo for your trip? Was it easy to find partners with limited spanish? I've reached out here and FB, etc. so I'm sure it'll work out either way.

MD

Anyone been to Simiatug?

Dylan McIntosh · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 5

Mitch, I was with a small group from a club in the States. In Quito you can get around just fine without Spanish, but as you get away from the capital city it can be challenging. I’d get comfortable with general phrases and play with google translate or similar. You have some time, so hopefully you find some partners!

Erin Fitz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Is anyone in Ecuador now?! Lol

Send me a message if so

Eli Helmuth · · Ciales, PR · Joined Aug 2001 · Points: 3,456
Erin Fitz wrote:

Is anyone in Ecuador now?! Lol

Send me a message if so

Yes, approximately 17.5 million people live there. Many are climbers and so climbing gyms, gear shops,  and crags are the best places to find and meet them.

Josh B · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 45
Mitch Dorsk wrote:

Thanks Dylan,

Appreciate the beta. Were you solo for your trip? Was it easy to find partners with limited spanish? I've reached out here and FB, etc. so I'm sure it'll work out either way.

MD

@Mitch, just roll into the campo 4 bouldering gym in quito or ctres in cuenca on a busy evening and you should have no problem finding partners!!

Erin Fitz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I will second c-tres in Cuenca and vertigo in Quito as good places to meet folks! I was in Cuenca for a month solo and everyone at c tres was awesome and incredibly welcoming! 

Josh B,

Any additional beta on the trad in Coji? Trying to get the book but hard to find.

Josh B · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 45

hey mitch, i wasn’t climbing gear when I lived there but i just flipped through the book and there’s quite a bit of trad in the 6b-7b range at coji, sometimes it might need to be accessed by an approach pitch though… i picked up my copy of ‘Andes vertical’ at a ‘tatoo’ shop in Quito (kind of like rei) 

rpc · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 775
Mitch Dorsk wrote:

Anyone been to Simiatug?

Yeah but got rained out.  My understanding is that access is a delicate issue.  It's on tribal land & you need to jump through some hoops to get an OK.  Get in touch w. Felipe Proano (FB) who can give you more info. (he's the one who's been working on opening up that area to climbers).

For sure, I have briefly spoken with Felipe. Nice dude! As of now, the focus is on Coji, San Juan, and Cajas, Tangan if logistics allow. It is just me but I may have a buddy with a vehicle there when I am, which would make Tangan possible.

Bought my flight, June 9-29. Would love to keep this forum rolling even though it is a few months out. 

Ecuador has gorgeous crags for the lack of publicity it gets. Maybe not all 5 star routes but the variety and beauty looks out of this world. 

keep the thread aliveeeee. wish i could help, ill be there in august

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Partners Needed Ecuador May-June-July"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started