Mountain Project Logo

Gym Training; Metro Seattle

Original Post
Alex Leslie · · Brisbane, Queensland, AU · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,468

Just moved back the the area from Perth & am trying to figure out my training routine.

I’m currently using VW Redmond because it’s close and quiet.

But what gym has the best training facilities? Generally I like to use a rowing machine to finish out a session with cardio but love using spray walls and circuit climbing for the more climbing oriented parts of my work out. Is SBP still the go, or is it still as crazy busy as it was back in 2019? 

Mitch Lorberau · · Seattle, WA · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 0

Momentum sodo has the facilities you describe, as well as great boulder setting, imo. It can get somewhat crowded during the 6-8pm after-work rush, but never feels like too much, and weekends and other times are generally not at all crowded. Friends have told me sbp gets more crowded, but ive never actually made it there to compare.

Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

The crowds from most to least sbp freemont>vertical world seattle >sbp poplar >stone gardens seattle > vertical world north/vertical world Redmond/ stone gardens Bellevue>momentum >halfmoon/uplift. I would just try the gyms and see what you like momentums’ spray wall is pretty darn hard and steep I probably wouldn’t use it unless your v7/13a climber.

Perry Gowdy · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 132

I'm curious what you find out. I also use VW Redmond, but their hangboarding/weight area is pretty garbage. They don't have any treadmills either. Not a huge deal, but in times like this when there's snow covering everything, it'd be nice to have the option to do some indoor cardio.

Recently hung around Bozeman for a week and a half, and their gym Spire put all of the Seattle climbing gyms to shame. It was such a nice facility. I got a serious case of gym envy. It was affordable too. 

Alex Leslie · · Brisbane, Queensland, AU · Joined May 2017 · Points: 2,468

Well Perry, 

We'll see when I actually make it back into a gym. The current covid numbers have scared me off entirely. 

Spire is a pretty nice facility, hard to beat.

Casey Talbot · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 10

I just posted on the idea of a all encompassing Training Gym - that would be operated as a Collective, and Members Only. Would love feedback. Keep it kind. Luckily its just a possible idea at this point. 

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
Casey Talbot wrote:

I just posted on the idea of a all encompassing Training Gym - that would be operated as a Collective, and Members Only. Would love feedback. Keep it kind. Luckily its just a possible idea at this point. 

Isn't Uplift basically oriented to this niche? The structure is a bit different than your proposal (commercial rather than a members Co-Op), but isn't the gym itself basically the same result you'd hope for from a training Co-Op? Small, training oriented facility with a focus on dedicated climbers.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Gym Training; Metro Seattle"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started