Mountain Project Logo

Looking for trad camps/guides in the Midwest

Original Post
Abbi Dingus · · Lansing, MI · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 3

Wondering if anyone knows of experienced climbers guiding or doing trad camps around Kentucky or WV for moderate level trad climbing (5.9-5.11)? 

Mark White · · White Rock, NM · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 10

If you can get to Seneca there are some good guides that can teach you what you need to know. That's WV. SRMG runs some formal classes as well. I don't know if the other guide service does as well or not. 

ZT G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2020 · Points: 50

As a young kid I did a church based camp at Seneca and we climbed, caved, rapped, etc. Everything involving ropes was done with assistance or guided by a shop called The Gendarme. Checking with them might help, but keep in mind this was like 15 years ago. It was only like 9 hours from Grand Rapids, too. 

Rachel Crowl · · Green, OH · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 115

I third go to Seneca Rocks. Both Seneca Rocks Mountain Guides and Seneca Rocks Climbing School offer guiding and I believe classes. My partner and I did a three day custom trad class through SRMG with one of their guides; River, and had a blast. We also know people with the climbing school (who run the Gendarme) and they're great as well. Can't go wrong going to Seneca!

Teton Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1

Good luck with finding camp/guide! And good luck with geography.

;)

Alex Wolfe · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

This last comment seems extra snarky. I would imagine you'll be able to find one in Madison, could always look at Devil's Lake. 

jay2718 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

Blue Ridge Mountain Guides: blueridgemtnguides.com/

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Abbi,

Devils lake climbing guides isn’t that far of a drive from Lansing if you are still located there. Check them out. 

Amanda Smith · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 853
Abbi Dingus wrote:

Wondering if anyone knows of experienced climbers guiding or doing trad camps around Kentucky or WV for moderate level trad climbing (5.9-5.11)? 

New River Mountain Guides!  Come visit WV I don’t work for them but I know them and they’re rad. 

Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

Carol Fittell does trad clinics in NW Arkansas (HCR, I think), if you make it that far *south*. I took an anchor cleaning class from her when I got back into climbing in 2015 and she is great. Well known and respected around the Kansas City and NW Arkansas area. 

Newt Riverman · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Sylvan Lakes Rock Guides in Black Hills of South Dakota. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Looking for trad camps/guides in the Midwest"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started