Mountain Project Logo

BLM Calico Basin Climber Meeting on March 9

b koch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 2
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

That's certainly one way of looking at it, but there are definitely issues with the status quo as well.  I couldn't think of anything better that doesn't involve limiting the number of people accessing the resource at any given time.  The issue is the constant full press of people for 7-8 months every year.  Something being done was inevitable.

They've been implementing similar reservation systems elsewhere and I think it's been successful for them.  Unless something else is introduced, they're only going to go with what they know "works".

In all the MP discussions there's a lot of anger and energy, but an almost complete lack of alternatives/ideas being proposed.

What? Plenty of ideas and alternatives have been proposed. On here, during the March comment period, during the zoom meetings. Not sure how you missed it. If they're going to attempt to manage the place by limiting the number of visitors, then fine, but the way that they are going about it is bullshit. Look at the section where they discuss the rejected ideas. The doubling of the yearly pass? The doubling of the daily pass? The $2 that goes to Booz Allen Hamilton??? Maybe employ some more rangers to "police" the area. Instead we are simply accepting more control over a wild area to make us feel better, while at the same time ceding our own access. And you say it's worked well elsewhere. What is your metric for success?   A shittier user experience for some, but better for others? Less impact? How are you quantifying that? Do you have any suggestions as to how this proposed RAMP could be modified to be less restrictive?

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391

Despite it feeling like a lost cause, sometimes it works.  Just recently, a record number of comments were submitted for the Little Cottonwood Canyon transportation plan in Utah, which effectively stopped progress on the effort to destroy the canyon for a gondola that would operate barely in the winter.

Sometimes the process works.

Also recommend contacting your representatives.  The BLM is run by unelected officials.  Get YOUR elected officials to pull some weight.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
b koch wrote:

What? Plenty of ideas and alternatives have been proposed. On here, during the March comment period, during the zoom meetings. Not sure how you missed it. 

I'm still missing the suggestions.  Is there a list somewhere?

John Hegyes wrote:

The thing I can't wrap my head around is whether all this change and investment is going to at least recoup the costs through fees.  If it breaks even over say a 10 year period, then it might make sense to the BLM.  Big IF though depending on how uninviting the more heavy handed regulating of the area is.

Ashort · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 56

I would believe that this is being done for "conservation" as soon as I see a ranger, just one single fucking ranger, on foot enforcing some of the rules and doing some public outreach. 

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
John Hegyes wrote:

Here is a map of phase 1 of the bike path plan for Red Rock. This section will be constructed between Summerlin and the Red Rock Visitor Center with new, elaborate trailheads at the Red Rock Detention Basin (sorry, Skid Row campers!) and at the entrance to Calico Basin Road.

They're going to pave "into the sun" ....smh!

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676
Big B wrote:

They're going to pave "into the sun" ....smh!

Yes, the Calico Basin crowding problem will be put into overdrive when they pave a bike path from Summerlin to Red Rock. BLM, in conjunction with Save Red Rock, is creating their own crowding problem by building this trail. With parking areas put in at Skid Row and at the entrance to Calico Basin, it's going to be a mob scene, much like Zion. This area will be sacrificed and used as justification to lock down Calico Basin which will become a private, guarded reserve fenced in for the entertainment of the lucky residents and their friends, with special, VIP lane access. 

I contacted Save Red Rock about the new regulations in Calico, but I was told that they are resigned to the toll-booths. As a biking organization they are getting what they want with their new path, so they are selling us climbers down the river. There doesn't seem to be any organization out there that represents the climber's access to the crags - it's a total bummer.

That map of the bike path shows where the parking lot and likely toll booth will be for Calico; it seems like it'll be located right at the intersection of Calico Road and Highway 159.

Also, just a quick reminder: kiss that Skid Row encampment good bye once the bike path begins construction. The Red Rock Detention Basin has been the one area that serves the van-lifer overflow from the crowded campground, and it will be soon be gone.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "BLM Calico Basin Climber Meeting on March 9"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started