Mountain Project Logo

z4 vs ultralight cam weight comparison

Original Post
Erik Strand · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0

Anyone else notice that the purple and green z4's only weigh like 3-4 grams more than the ultralights? Anyone think this will affect the marketing of the ultralights? Is there a reason to prefer the ultralights over the z4's since they cost $30 more?

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

The z4 head width is also way narrower than the ultralights. I would personally favor the z4 in purple and below, no reason to pay more for a more rigid cam with a wider head. Maybe the ultralights will prove to be more durable?

Yeah man that's where I'm at. The z4's are cheaper and have more good shit going on for them. I feel like people would be paying more for an inferior product if they get the UL's; but I wanted to ask the community and see if I'm missing something here. 

James M · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 65

My .5 UL has some weird stretching in the dyneema webbing of the thumb loop. I don't think it has ever taken a fall so I decided to retire it and am doing exactly this^ bought .5 and .4 Z4's as well as offsets in smaller sizes. 

Might send it over to slacksnap for some testing. 

Plus the Z4's can be found for 20-25% off so are about $52 each (backcountrygear and nextadventure).

Andrew Schafer · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 10
James M wrote:

My .5 UL has some weird stretching in the dyneema webbing of the thumb loop. I don't think it has ever taken a fall so I decided to retire it and am doing exactly this^ bought .5 and .4 Z4's as well as offsets in smaller sizes. 

Might send it over to slacksnap for some testing. 

Plus the Z4's can be found for 20-25% off so are about $52 each (backcountrygear and nextadventure).

I’ll take it if you don’t want it!

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

I carry Z4 up through .5 and Camalot from .5 on up. 

Eddie Purcell · · A Crag Near You · Joined May 2019 · Points: 297

I use Z4’s for tips cracks. Like 0 .1 .2 

Anything larger .3 and up Camalots 

And the KN rating is the same between the two

And I really don’t worry about weight much. 5.12-5.13 trad will kick your ass no matter how light you’re traveling lol 

Just get a nice Yates big wall harness and you won’t notice a thing 

Dan Jay · · New Westminster, BC · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

z4 to .5 is the play and then the new c4s for the rest. double the z4s with WC zeros from .1-.4 or totems in small stuff. 

Pierre Proulx · · Montreal, Quebec, CA · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 10

I’m curious as to why you guys are going with C4 over Z4 for .75? Been using the Z4 myself in that size since I got into trad last year and can’t say I have any complaints so I’m not planning on switching, but my sampling size is obviously limited. Anything specific that you dislike?

Christopher Chu · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 40

The Z4s seem like they have softer metal.  I get gouges in the lobes while the C4/ULs don't.  So durability maybe a factor?  Or maybe you like softer metal.  

Christopher Chu wrote:

The Z4s seem like they have softer metal.  I get gouges in the lobes while the C4/ULs don't.  So durability maybe a factor?  Or maybe you like softer metal.  

I had a red 2019 c4 that had the same gouges I would get in the z4s I had.

Softer metal supposedly holds better. That’s part of why people rave about aliens 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "z4 vs ultralight cam weight comparison"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started