Mountain Project Logo

Road to Turkey Rocks washed out

Original Post
GLD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 83

Last viewed Saturday May 8, the same spot as last year. This year's looks significantly worse with major holes to the pipes showing flowing water bypassing both pipes beneath. Some bypass available for lifted 4wd perhaps, otherwise it's a long drive around.

Weston S · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Can confirm. Guess I was one of the last cars across before it collapsed on Saturday. Spent a hellish 3 hours trying to drive back to our tents that were on the other side of the “bridge” with my Jetta. Perhaps there was a better way, but no cell service to figure this out. I do not recommend this the long way around, parking and walking a mile or so is better.

Pete Gallagher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 5

Just went down there and looked at it this evening. It failed in exactly the manner that I predicted in this Mtn Project post last year ( mountainproject.com/forum/t…), and in several emails to Brad Shaw, Operations Manager for Teller County Road and Bridge. I will be calling Mr Shaw tomorrow to ask when he thinks the county will complete the repairs. I will post whatever response he gives me.  I would suggest that other climbers reach out to him as well and express their concern

Alex S · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 92

Any update?

I spoke with Teller County Road & Bridge this morning, and they will be repairing the crossing today and tomorrow. It should be open by Friday morning. Turkey Rock got 4 inches of snow last night, so it’s very muddy, which may slow them down.

Alex Zachrel · · Morgantown, West Virginia · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 50
Pete Gallagher wrote:

Just went down there and looked at it this evening. It failed in exactly the manner that I predicted in this Mtn Project post last year ( mountainproject.com/forum/t…), and in several emails to Brad Shaw, Operations Manager for Teller County Road and Bridge. I will be calling Mr Shaw tomorrow to ask when he thinks the county will complete the repairs. I will post whatever response he gives me.  I would suggest that other climbers reach out to him as well and express their concern

What a perfectly documented and justified but unfortunate "I told ya so"

As of 3:30pm Friday, the crossing is still closed. A single large (60 inch) culvert has been delivered to the site, as well as several truckloads of road base and fill dirt. The  low water creek crossing that was being used by 4x4’s and ATV’s is now blocked by large piles of fill dirt on the east side of the crossing. Given the forecast for heavy rain for Monday and Tuesda, the road probably  will not reopen until the latter part of next week. 

Vaughn · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 55

Anyone have an update on the T-rocks road condition?

Matt Castelli · · Denver · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 280

It’s open. Wife saw a post about it being repaired last week ish

Stretch-For Three-Sets · · iPhone-Thumb-Troll-LoL · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 0

Not sure if it’s repaired or open, we went to sheeps nose instead and I got a parking ticket for not parking far enough west where the P sign official sheeps nose parking is established 

So just a reminder anywhere in west creek gotta park where a brown P sign is hung ( if no sign and park anyways might get a ticket $26 but it sounds rare to get one)

Thanks guys. I was there on Saturday night and the road is indeed open.

Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Vaughn wrote:

Thanks guys. I was there on Saturday night and the road is indeed open.

Great to know.  It was still closed last Wednesday.  I guess they finished it up a day or two after.

Joe Bringley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 0

Is the road from Sheeps Nose to Turkey Rocks accessible in a 2WD sedan? (When weather is okay)

Joe Bringley wrote:

Is the road from Sheeps Nose to Turkey Rocks accessible in a 2WD sedan? (When weather is okay)

I know last year it was still doable.  Not ideal and you have to go slow over blind humps caused by washout and hit them diagonally.  If you don't have experience taking a sedan on less than ideal dirt roads I would avoid it so as not to be "that guy" who gets stuck with your front wheels in the air but I've taken that road quite a few times before I got something higher clearance and AWD.

Joe Bringley wrote:

Yes as long as you have a little off road experience and you aren't scared of a few bumps and scrapes.

Kirk Grant · · Manitou Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2021 · Points: 0

Btw people  with old or low clearance cars will park after the gate at the top of the hill before the first bug downhill. There is a  large pull out on the right which has camping sites. Might Still be free? The road Issue is a spring runs across the road in the steepest section washing the road out into deep ruts.

People walk into turkey rocks, or thumb a ride on a 4x4 rig or get picked up by someone in a subaru usually driving a forester! If not joining climbers be sure to get off at the road that goes up and left, as the road keeps going straight. 

Kirk Grant wrote:

Btw people  with old or low clearance cars will park after the gate at the top of the hill before the first bug downhill. There is a  large pull out on the right which has camping sites. Might Still be free? The road Issue is a spring runs across the road in the steepest section washing the road out into deep ruts.

People walk into turkey rocks, or thumb a ride on a 4x4 rig or get picked up by someone in a subaru usually driving a forester! If not joining climbers be sure to get off at the road that goes up and left, as the road keeps going straight. 

Yikes, how much clearance would you say is needed ATM?  Would a Nissan rogue make it?

Kirk Grant · · Manitou Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2021 · Points: 0
Christopher Smith wrote:

Yikes, how much clearance would you say is needed ATM?  Would a Nissan rogue make it?

Sorry I can’t say. Like it will. After road maintenance most any car makes it. Then after rains the spring washes the road to ruts

here are my thoughts 
I encourage you to go for it! and maybe consider a quick stop atop the hill and walk down to scout ahead 

Btw The whole of the west creek area is amazing! 

Other than

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Road to Turkey Rocks washed out"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started