Mountain Project Logo

Cockroaches, fumigation, and climbing gear question.

Original Post
Tankie Green · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

So I moved in to a total shithole. It’s infested with roaches. They’ve destroyed a ton of my books (including a guide book) and probably ruined my furniture within a week. I’m probably going to burn everything later. But for now I have to deal with it cause I’m broke.

My question is, will they ruin climbing gear if left out? And I’m assuming I should probably not leave my gear in the apartment while being fumigated, but I don’t know. I bought massive ziploc bags for a lot of my shit, and been putting the stuff I know they’ve been in, in my empty freezer to kill anything. Should I save a couple for all my gear? Anyone have any advice?

this whole situation is fucked

T Lego · · Asheville, NC · Joined Apr 2020 · Points: 21

I'd get a roll of visqueen and wrap your stuff in that. I doubt roaches will ruin gear (rats will tho! They will chew through salty slings/straps), but the fumigation might leave you thinking. Get some visqueen at the hardware store and wrap important stuff, put in corner of a closet or something. 

Darcie Metoyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2021 · Points: 0

You never know with them.They messed up a lot of my clothes and shoes, so I wouldn't be too surprised. Make sure to get rid of them. My mountain gear is always in a safe space far away from any tests as you never know what damage they can do next. I had a huge problem back in the day with cockroaches, and if it wasn't for me calling prudentpestcontrol.com.au/p… still remember my father telling me that it's better to leave nasty insect to forms who have the appetite of dealing with them. Still remember my father telling me that it's better to leave nasty insects to people who have the desire to deal with them. I certainly don't!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Cockroaches, fumigation, and climbing gear ques…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started