Mountain Project Logo

Brainard and Mt Evans Reservations

Original Post
Alex Zachrel · · Morgantown, West Virginia · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 50

Looks like youll need to make reservations through the trusty and dependable recreation.gov site this summer at Brainard lake and Mt Evans. I heard rumor of designated entrance/exit times. Seems like it might affect some of the otherwise short notice/ easy access go to's. Also changing dispersed camping in some of Roosevelt and Arapahoe National Forests to "day use only." Just a heads up

https://www.dailycamera.com/2021/05/04/reservations-will-be-required-for-brainard-lake-mount-evans-beginning-in-june/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_content=fb-dailycamera&fbclid=IwAR0VUK2uE8yY2AJgAnujxbZTD4nRSGjwNEZruZzjTOPLRPxu0wDn77Qxzso

Jack Crackerson · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 10

Something tells me this won't go away after Covid....

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Jack Crackerson wrote:

Something tells me this won't go away after Covid....

im not entirely opposed to this. the mt. evans area is overrun every summer...

Jack Crackerson · · Denver, CO · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 10
curt86iroc wrote:

im not entirely opposed to this. the mt. evans area is overrun every summer...

I hear you. I think my (main) problem is the fee, a) on top of an existing parking fee and b) not going to the specific area / park / whatever. Overall, it just feels more and more we need permission to go outside to areas that are theoretically public lands and while I understand an intent to limit people, I think there are downsides to that too. 

I'm not opposed to managing the users of the forest all. I usually use climbs up at brainard as "what should we do tomorrow, i dunno weather looks nice on apache tomorrow" type alpine trips. Its totally me being selfish, but Id be bummed if that resource went away. However I understand their not "my" mountains, just potentially a bummer.

chummer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 1,035

I'm still thinking a bicycle strategy might be a good way to deal with reservations. RMNP doesn't require a reservation if you're on bike. Hopefully Brainard won't either. For Rocky you could park at the garage in Estes and bike in. It'd be esp useful for climbing at Lumpy. They haven't posted if a resv. is required for the "winter" lot at Brainard. If not a bike in would be great. Seems you could also potentially park up on P2P and bike in.

Jack Crackerson wrote:

I hear you. I think my (main) problem is the fee, a) on top of an existing parking fee and b) not going to the specific area / park / whatever. Overall, it just feels more and more we need permission to go outside to areas that are theoretically public lands and while I understand an intent to limit people, I think there are downsides to that too. 

Yeah recreation.gov charges an additional up to 8 dollar fee just to book something through their (privately owned/ for profit) website. in fact the only "cost" to make a timed entrance reservation is the minimum $2 processing fee on the recreation.gov website. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Brainard and Mt Evans Reservations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started