Mountain Project Logo

Rumney condition this weekend?

Original Post
Wendy Zhao · · Cambridge, MA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Hi all -- does anyone have insights on climbing condition at Rumney this Sunday-Monday? Looks like the area is getting some snow/rain today (Friday) and Saturday will be cloudy. I'm not familiar enough and would love to know if routes will be dry. Any intel would be helpful. Thanks all!

take TAKE · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 186

I just drove through the elevations and area surrounding rumney and I wouldn't go this weekend,but Monday things could be drying out, especially main cliff and places that get lots of sun and don't seep. The next few days I think anything that physically can get precipitated on will be wet, and everything that seeps will be seeping.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Main Cliff is closed for falcons

Greg Pouliot · · Rumney NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 90
Eric Engberg wrote:

Main cliff hasn’t closed for falcon activity in years. Summit cliff however, and yellow knife close for falcons. 

Wendy Zhao wrote:

Hi all -- does anyone have insights on climbing condition at Rumney this Sunday-Monday? Looks like the area is getting some snow/rain today (Friday) and Saturday will be cloudy. I'm not familiar enough and would love to know if routes will be dry. Any intel would be helpful. Thanks all!

Monday would be best. Sun is trying to poke out today, and it’s been a little breezy. We didn’t get any accumulation in town in Rumney, but seepage might be a bit of an issue some places. 

JohnRoberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
Greg Pouliot wrote:

Main cliff hasn’t closed for falcon activity in years. Summit cliff however, and yellow knife close for falcons. 

https://m.facebook.com/WhiteMountainNF/

JohnRoberts wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/WhiteMountainNF/

Wow. I haven’t seen that area closed for falcon activity in years. I stand corrected. 

NE Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2021 · Points: 0

Is there more information on the falcon closures?

Is that all of main cliff (armed area & underdog area)?  Or, is this just the second pitch climbs on the right?

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

https://files.slack.com/files-pri/TBSDLLNMQ-F01UP93J0G4/image.png

What has happened regularity in recent years is that the Main Cliff IS closed but then  eggs are either not produced or fail and its reopened early

Eric Engberg wrote:

https://files.slack.com/files-pri/TBSDLLNMQ-F01UP93J0G4/image.png

What has happened regularity in recent years is that the Main Cliff IS closed but then  eggs are either not produced or fail and its reopened early

This is great info. Thanks for the specifics!

NE Climber wrote:

Is there more information on the falcon closures?

Is that all of main cliff (armed area & underdog area)?  Or, is this just the second pitch climbs on the right?

The Facebook page says the entire main cliff from Space Lab to Friendship Tower. Sounds like A&D is probably okay. Generally the signs are posted for the entire area, regardless of how high up on the cliff the birds are. 

Sawyer W · · NH · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Remember kids, the signs are posted for your protection as much as for the falcons. Falcon induced whippers are not unheard of a la "play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

Abby Grills · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I have my first trip to Rumney planned for this weekend and really want to make it work. Any tips on where to find dry rock that’s also in avoidance of the falcon closures? 

Whit Love · · Cambridge, MA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I was there yesterday and had no trouble finding dry routes to climb. Not everything was dry, but most of it was. The only climb I wanted to do that I couldn't was in Bonsai on the right.

Abby Grills wrote:

I have my first trip to Rumney planned for this weekend and really want to make it work. Any tips on where to find dry rock that’s also in avoidance of the falcon closures? 

What grade do you climb? With the rain all day today and snow/rain tomorrow, you might not have a great time finding dry rock. 

Greg Pouliot wrote:

What grade do you climb? With the rain all day today and snow/rain tomorrow, you might not have a great time finding dry rock. 

Climb in the 10s - any idea which areas might be more dry? We booked an Airbnb that’s non-refundable so we’re going to give it a try

Abby Grills wrote:

Climb in the 10s - any idea which areas might be more dry? We booked an Airbnb that’s non-refundable so we’re going to give it a try

Check out the armed and dangerous area. 4 great tens right there, a killer 7 and a classic 8+. Sesame Street is a wonderful 10c. Bonsai might also be dry, definitely worth the walk up there. 

Greg Pouliot wrote:

Check out the armed and dangerous area. 4 great tens right there, a killer 7 and a classic 8+. Sesame Street is a wonderful 10c. Bonsai might also be dry, definitely worth the walk up there. 

Thanks so much Greg! Appreciate it!

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA/Wentworth NH · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 26

If you go to A and D be sure to get there as early as you can.  Major cluster foxtrot on the weekend.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Rumney condition this weekend?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started