Mountain Project Logo

Northeastern Roof Cracks and Inverted Offwidths!

JD1984 · · Leominster, MA · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 866

Hewes is incredible! We gawked are this roof but it was wet that day... 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

While on this topic, it is appropriate to have a moment of silence in memory of the late, great Whaleback Crack on Cannon--now literally resting in pieces at the base.

Still standing, what about the Bridge of Kaza-dum  on Cathedral?

Jamison Knowlton · · Gloucester, MA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,739
Dan Knisell wrote:

This beautiful v5 roof crack at Hewes Hill. Have yet to go and try it on a dry day.

This thing looks amazing! Let me know when you head back Dan. 

z sweep · · north shore, MA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 45
Dan Knisell wrote:

This beautiful v5 roof crack at Hewes Hill. Have yet to go and try it on a dry day.

Is this in the chinos guide?

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA/Wentworth NH · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 26

Cool problem! Cleaned out the topout on rappell and bouldered that by myself many years ago.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Wondering if this was something Freddie wilkenson climbed @ holts?  It does have early 2000s era bolts at the top but also sports these guys in the first big pod.

We just called it Zion Dreams. its the most authentic desert choss I have encountered in the NE. you can even use your #5 for real.   Some kind of Desert 10+??? 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Hewes is in Swanzey just south of Keene, so I doubt that it would be in the Chinos guide.

Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652
Gunkiemike wrote: Lost City has an outrageous roof crack boulder problem. 30+ feet of (mostly) fist-to-stacks crack, dead horizontal, 8 feet off the ground. It's in a cave just below the Texas Flake block.

Whoa I gotta check this out! Would love to know more if anyone has climbed it. 

Stumbled across this thread while researching for the northeast crack bouldering thread. I'll cross reference it to here!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

FWIW the roof crack I posted upthread got its second (EDIT and 3rd) ascent today, some 20-25 years after the FA.  There may be some info coming out about this in the days to come.

szheng · · New York, NY · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 221
Gunkiemike wrote:

FWIW the roof crack I posted upthread got its second ascent today, some 30 years after the FA.  There may be some info coming out about this in the days to come.

Woah, congrats to the second ascentionist! I came across the feature by chance last weekend and was totally blown away. It looks absurdly wicked. Looking forward to hearing more news. Does it have a name? Who/when was the FA?

Josh S · · Kerhonkson, NY · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
szheng wrote:

Woah, congrats to the second ascentionist! I came across the feature by chance last weekend and was totally blown away. It looks absurdly wicked. Looking forward to hearing more news. Does it have a name? Who/when was the FA?

Assume it's the Romano FA roof crack that Dustin Portzline tries in the "A day with the bank manager" movie they made about Romano last year?

sara pax · · western mass · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 2,436

2nd and 3rd ascent. Dustin Portzline and Kathy Karlo.

ed esmond · · The Paris of VT... · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Wondering if this was something Freddie wilkenson climbed @ holts?  It does have early 2000s era bolts at the top but also sports these guys in the first big pod.

We just called it Zion Dreams. its the most authentic desert choss I have encountered in the NE. you can even use your #5 for real.   Some kind of Desert 10+??? 

Talking out my @ss, but I always figured the FA had to have had some sort of Andy Tuthill involvement…. There is no way he would have walked past it and not given it a try.   There are a bunch of really good lines at that cliff, but that corner is the ”class of the cliff.”

ed ”if it were bolted, I’d get on it every time I was there…” e

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Andy has been up a few times recently but didn't remember doing the FA???

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Northeastern Roof Cracks and Inverted Offwidths!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started