Mountain Project Logo

Modifying Ice Axes for Kids (Tools for Slabby to Vertical Ice)

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Mark Regier wrote:

About to cut these down to make kid axes for my 7 yr old and his friends. 

Just looking at them, I suspect you're going to need to shorten the picks too.

Mark Regier · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 40

Phase 1 complete

Ok, took me a while, but these are ready for the field testing phase! For those interested, I added a thin piece of wood to thicken the handle and insulate it a bit. Used two-part epoxy and clamps to glue it on, wrapped with thin cord, and sealed it off with another round of epoxy.

I kinda got into craftsman mode in case you can’t tell, ha!

DeLa Cruce · · SWEDEN · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

https://www.simond.com/mountaineering-ice-axe-fox-carving-id_8091166

You could probably cut the adze off too. It’s short (43 cm) and light, with a good pick for ice actually. easy to slap a petzl trigrest on it too.

Went out to climb a bit and took the modified monsters, and yeah, Gunkiemike was right. Geometry is weird— picks need to be shortened. 

jc5462 · · Hereford, Arizona · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Teaching ice climbing to Boy Scouts in the 90's I had a set of Grivel Third tools for small kids, a set of Hamish Maciness Taradactyls, and some Forrest Serac Sabres (all fixed blades, so lighter) for those who needed lighter / shorter tools. Larger kids could use my Grivel Super Courmayers, Camp Hyper Coulour, Forrest Lifetimes and Cassin Antares (Heavy)

Karl Henize · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 643

I do not have kids, but if I did... I would check out the ice fifis used for speed climbing competitions.  For older kids that have the ability to swing a light tool, I would check out the Petzl Gully and Grivel North Machine.  Both are relatively light and easy to choke up on.  

J Graham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

Not quite a modification but repurpose. Used my two never used BD ice pitons, the pommels from old CAMP All MountainX handles and 1/2 plywood. I carved out a

recess for the metal and used epoxy and screws to hold it all together. Adding a buddies petzl nomic pick weights so they swing. My small 9 year old daughter can handle these.
SteelRain 22 · · Your Mom's house · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15

Bump for when I get on my laptop and can upload pics 

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25

For what it’s worth, for reference with slightly older kids, my daughters were/are on the smaller size end of the spectrum for their ages, but at about age 10 they switched to regular axes- Petzl Sum’Tec’s and then after about 12 and beyond they went to Cobra’s (small diameter grip) and have loved them.   They’d struggle on virgin boilerplate on a super cold day, but then who doesn’t, lol.  

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Looks awesome Mark.
After trying for a few years to find some Grivel Lil’ monsters without success, I finally just got some Sumtecs instead. The new ones take the same picks as Nomics/quarks and can be stripped down to be very light and still have a pommel rest. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Modifying Ice Axes for Kids (Tools for Slabby t…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started