Mountain Project Logo

PDX: Too rainy to climb...no snow to ski

Original Post
Mike C · · Portland, OR · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 5

I'm new-ish to the Portland area, and was hoping to get out climbing this weekend but the forecast is calling for rain Saturday from Vancouver all the way down to northern California including Smith Rocks. I'm not sure how much it will actually rain at Smith, but it seems like a pain to drive 3 hours just to find out.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to do when the forecast looks like it will be too rainy to climb but not enough snow to go skiing?  My current backup idea is to go on a big hike/trail run instead but am looking for better ideas.

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

You could author a long tirade about bolts (or dogs or hammocks or bouldering...you get the idea) on Mountain Project and see how many people you can rile up.

J P · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 465

i don't think this is much of a secret, but the terrebonne weather forecast is usually a bit more bullish about rain than reality... so if you've got the urge, i'd roll the dice and you might luck out with an empty park and nice cloud cover all day.

otherwise, fall mushroom season is popping. go look for chanterelles and king boletes. 

Jaime Bohle · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

If it it not too rainy, the Bat Wall can stay dry.

Max R · · Davis, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 95

Hike Mt Defiance with a heavy pack. You are so lucky to have such good conditioning hikes within a short drive of the Portland metro area. 

Levi X · · Washington · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 63

If you are good with a longer drive you could check out vantage WA. There is a bunch of nice single pitch stuff. 

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Jaime Bohle wrote:

If it it not too rainy, the Bat Wall can stay dry.

To the OP: Bat Wall is at Broughton Bluff’s just outside of Portland BTW.

Jaime is right. There are a handful of overhung places that stay relatively dry in light rain, but we’ve had a downpour recently.

James Frost · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 679
Mike C wrote:

I'm new-ish to the Portland area, and was hoping to get out climbing this weekend but the forecast is calling for rain Saturday from Vancouver all the way down to northern California including Smith Rocks. I'm not sure how much it will actually rain at Smith, but it seems like a pain to drive 3 hours just to find out.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to do when the forecast looks like it will be too rainy to climb but not enough snow to go skiing?  My current backup idea is to go on a big hike/trail run instead but am looking for better ideas.

That's Life

Dan Bookless · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 1,940

Bat Wall, Jungle Cliff, Rat Cave, Mordor Wall, Viento, all may have dry climbing when it is actively raining and/or recently rained.  I agree with JP, Terrebonne Weather forecast often seems unclimbable, but when you show up to smith it only rains for a few minutes on and off for the day (that rock dries incredibly fast); just make sure the air temp is high enough for your comfort. And Levi is right, Vantage is worth checking out.  Lots and lots and lots of 2 star sport and trad routes (climbing is climbing)

I climb every month of the year in Portland 

Julie Vernon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Mountain bike! :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "PDX: Too rainy to climb...no snow to ski"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started