Mountain Project Logo

Another “to the party near us at the Gunks today...”

Original Post
Doctor Drake · · SF, NYC, Trento · Joined May 2018 · Points: 126

Top roping the first pitch of a classic multi-pitch route is not only irritating, but rude, and generally speaking, “a dick move.” Top roping the first pitches of classic multi-pitch routes that are 100 yards apart and screaming gear beta at each other is bordering on idiocy.

Also, no one wants to hear, in uncomfortably detailed and vivid language, your weird sexual fantasies about your climbing partners and significant others. Yes, you were extremely loud. Yes, we could hear you even on the second pitch of a route 100’ to the side. Yes, other people there were like “wtf is going on.” You are in a shared, public space, and the rest of us would appreciate it if you could be more self-aware.

Matt Wetmore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 504

Which routes?

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

This is why I just can't go to the Gunks. I don't care how good the climbing is. Such a shit show. 

Lone Pine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Lol. That must have been your first time to the Gunks

Lyle M · · New Haven, Ct · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 586

Hanging around people who obsess over crawling up rocks and you expect civility? 

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Screaming gear beta while all persons involved are top-roping? Something doesn’t add up.

P Chetby wrote:

Did you say anything to them about their behavior?

Someone was bound to ask! We were heading up wanting to get as far away from them as possible, and I didn’t think that screaming down at them was going to improve the overall situation. Had we been on the ground, I have no problem going over to strangers and having a conversation whether it be about the weather, the climbing, beta, or their asinine behavior.

Yes, there’s always dumb shit happening near popular routes at the Gunks, and I’m totally used to it. But since they were a group of three men and one woman (who looked extremely uncomfortable during all this), and my female partner was very unsettled, I decided to make a post.

I believe they were hogging Baby and City Lights (shouting around each other with that big boulder between them) and then congregated under what appeared to be Frog’s Head to discuss their dream conquests. 

SethG wrote:

Screaming gear beta while all persons involved are top-roping? Something doesn’t add up.

Lol.

The guys leading the routes to put them up thought they were hot shit and apparently needed microcam beta. Thanks for catching that. 

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Doctor Drake wrote:

Top roping the first pitch of a classic multi-pitch route is not only irritating, but rude, and generally speaking, “a dick move.” Top roping the first pitches of classic multi-pitch routes that are 100 yards apart and screaming gear beta at each other is bordering on idiocy.

Also, no one wants to hear, in uncomfortably detailed and vivid language, your weird sexual fantasies about your climbing partners and significant others. Yes, you were extremely loud. Yes, we could hear you even on the second pitch of a route 100’ to the side. Yes, other people there were like “wtf is going on.” You are in a shared, public space, and the rest of us would appreciate it if you could be more self-aware.

This isn't "to the party near us at the Gunks today" because that party probably isn't going to read this, and if they do read it, they probably aren't going to think it's directed at them. If you wanted to address their behavior, you had your chance when you were next to them.

This is just you whining. It doesn't solve the problem, but it does create a new, separate annoyance for the rest of us.

You are in a shared, public space, and the rest of us would appreciate it if you could be more self-aware. ;)

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

So lets hear some more about the weird sexual fantasies. We haven't passed full judgement yet.

Cherokee Nunes wrote:

So lets hear some more about the weird sexual fantasies. We haven't passed full judgement yet.

Something something nothing but a harness something something daddy something something my girlfriend doesn’t like it so I have to find a different chick.

We were all pretty grossed out. 

Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179

I dont understand why more people dont confront strangers who are being morons. The world would be a better place if people were honest to one another. To them, you'll either be that one weird asshole who is too sensitive or one of many who tell you to shut up and stop being rude. The party involved should feel that pressure to change and fall into place like the rest of the crag...maybe they dont know its poor etiquette,  but if thats the case, they still dont know cause you didnt want to "upset them" face to face. 

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I dont understand why more people dont confront strangers who are being morons.

Sincere question - have you climbed at the Gunks? This would be more than a full time job. You simply cannot save the world from itself. Best to go somewhere else if it bothers you. (or me, or anyone)

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

most problems in the gunks can be solved by confronting the party or walking an additional five minutes. 

losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
Rock Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 179
Cherokee Nunes wrote:

Sincere question - have you climbed at the Gunks? This would be more than a full time job. You simply cannot save the world from itself. Best to go somewhere else if it bothers you. (or me, or anyone)

many hands make light work ... that's my point. If its truly the ethic, then the community around should all speak up ...

if I went to the gunks with a drill and bolts and started up a climb, how many people would speak up?     Just saying, there is a level of crossing the line where you would say something... so move that line to minor offenses or dont complain about them.

Bill Schick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

So you pro-confrontation folks - are you an exception at 6’6 250 lbs of ripped muscle that scares people, or have you found like most of us adults - that confronting assholes acting like assholes has a 0% chance of success and a 100% chance of making you even more pissed off and matters generally worse?  Just leave.  You likely got out of bed too late and went somewhere convenient, easy and popular - do better next time.

Garry Reiss · · Guelph, ON · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1

The op and the following comments have got people thinking about how to deal with these sorts of situations, there's value in that.

From a lot of the posts here it sounds like most of you would have been in favor of me screaming down from above at these people. To me, that’s also incredibly obnoxious. I generally am pretty good about confronting obnoxious behavior on the ground, if it is actively disturbing myself and others.

Seriously, if you were a pitch up and heard some idiots yelling about how they wanted to copulate in nothing but a harness, would you try and talk to them? I would’ve airmailed a paper airplane down at them with a message if I could have.

Parachute Adams · · At the end of the line · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Why is it people have no problem expressing their perspective on a situation that makes them uncomfortable online but not so in person? Calmly provide your perspective and move on. You'll feel better about yourself, give them something to think about, and not have to get beat up online for having no backbone. 

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263
Parachute Adams wrote:

Why is it people have no problem expressing their perspective on a situation that makes them uncomfortable online but not so in person? 

Hiding behind pseudonyms makes people say all kind of things..

Maybe one should bring their favorite Halloween mask to the cliff?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Another “to the party near us at the Gunks toda…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started