Mountain Project Logo

A helping hand - mountain strength the book

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

When are the Kickstarter books going to ship?

Matthew Lloyd · · denver, colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,705
sandrock wrote: When are the Kickstarter books going to ship?

As soon as the books arrive ill ship them out that same day along with a t-shirt as a thank you! Shipping is a mess because of covid, the good news is they have been at sea for 3 weeks so it should be any day- sorry about the delay ! 

any updates? I still haven't received my book and this is starting to feel like a scam....

True Nolan, I spoke out of line.  I'm just surprised at the lack of communication from a reputable business since the kickstarter said the books would ship in July.

Nick Niebuhr · · CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 465

I got my PDF version that I preordered, and it looks like a legitimate book to me! If you preordered on Kickstarter, you should be getting email updates. They've been delayed substantially with shipping by covid.

Jack Kelly · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 155

Got my book today. It's real. I had already read the PDF and I certainly have thoughts on it, but the short version is that it's interesting and I'll definitely run through a couple of the routines in the future.

mike h · · Front Range, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 24
Jack Kelly wrote:

Got my book today. It's real. I had already read the PDF and I certainly have thoughts on it, but the short version is that it's interesting and I'll definitely run through a couple of the routines in the future.

Oh come on, at least give us the medium version thoughts. 

Jack Kelly · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 155
mike h wrote:

Oh come on, at least give us the medium version thoughts. 

So, the crossfit "bones" are very much in evidence. That has pros and cons and certainly won't be for everyone.

There are a lot of discrete cycles/programs that can be mixed and matched--I'll likely never do the olympic weightlifting cycles, or the rowing cycle, for example, but I could see running the squat and deadlift cycle. The hangboard programs aren't as linear as most climbers are used to, and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. 

To do most of the cycles requires a lot of equipment. I would not describe it as a home training book, or a book for training if all you have access to is a climbing gym. The climbing specific cycles still require a fair amount of equipment beyond a climbing wall, and to follow them strictly would require a pretty kick-ass climbing gym, to be honest.

The alpine conditioning cycle is definitely something I plan on trying. I had already adopted a few things from that as part of a prep trip, and I feel like that was pretty effective.

The book itself is well-produced and has few errors and typos. The printing is crisp and pretty. The motivational blurbs throughout aren't my cup of tea for the most part but may be up your alley.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Just arrived! It is HEFTY. I haven't read through yet, but, even as a beginner ish climber, I can see things I'd use. 

Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45

I'm a big fan of the motivational blurbs. Can't wait to try some of these cycles out. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "A helping hand - mountain strength the book"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started