Mountain Project Logo

Are you looking for a copy of the Shuteye Ridge guidebook? Lemme know

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
fritzthekat · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 5

The elusive, playing-hard-to-get guidebook that I personally chafe at not acquiring 7 years ago and now have seen numerous seekers posting about in this forum. Unless you want to pay $500+ for a used amazon copy, best forget it, pal.

Well, what if I told you that we might be able to get an earlier shot at a new edition? I wrote to Wolverine Publishing last week asking (read: pleading) if they were intending to publish a new copy. And guess what? They ARE! 

Might be ready near the end of 2021 but their correspondent said that if the promised masses were interested that they might fast-track a downloadable phone copy.

So what do we say, promised masses? Are we interested?? Give a shout out.

Mitchell Donnelly · · Moorpark, Ca · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 37

I want that book

Choss Cowboy · · Boulder CO, LA, The Bay · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

You're aware shuteye ridge is very much on fire at the moment? 

fritzthekat · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 5

Yes, I too have been following the progress of the fire in the S. Yosemite area. Go to the area discussion if you want to focus on that.

marko j · · San Pedro, CA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 1

Thanks for reaching out to them fritzthekat. Definitely interested!

Choss Cowboy wrote:

You're aware shuteye ridge is very much on fire at the moment? 

I mean, its gonna burn out eventually

Jack Nugent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 90

Want

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

This and the other post are insensitive to those of use who are watching out beloved climbing area being destroyed. the whole ridge is on fire right now. You people are delusional if you think climbing is not going to be affected. I am certain that any plans on a forthcoming guidebook will be shelved. Roads are going to be closed, approach trails are gone. It will be years before full access to Shuteye is even possible.

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

sounds like wolverine is just trying to make a quick buck cause of covid 

Brennan VanDyke · · Edmond, OK · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 1,350
Danny Herrera wrote:

sounds like wolverine is just trying to make a quick buck cause of covid 

Explain to me how publishing a book is something a publishing company is doing just because of a pandemic

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567
Brennan VanDyke wrote:

Explain to me how publishing a book is something a publishing company is doing just because of a pandemic

its not about a book, its about a digital copy being released. Here is a possible scenario -

- Going to just assume Wolverine Publishing has probably been affected by the pandemic, so they aren't selling a whole lot, maybe volume is just down.

- Someone calls in about "XXX Guidebook & Novel", this book isn't going to be released for 8 months to a year.

"We don't plan on releasing this product till the 2nd quarter of 2021, but if you can get some of your friends to buy in, we can release a digital copy"

Either way I'm not here to argue, got my Shuteye book on the shelf.

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Danny Herrera wrote:

its not about a book, its about a digital copy being released. Here is a possible scenario -

- Going to just assume Wolverine Publishing has probably been affected by the pandemic, so they aren't selling a whole lot, maybe volume is just down.

This seems like a questionable assumption to me. All the crags and camping areas I visited this summer were more crowded than ever.

I tried to buy a copy of the Shuteye guide at Nomad Ventures in Joshua Tree a few weeks ago, no luck. Their employee told me they had a huge stack at the beginning of the summer and sold them all, mostly via mail order.

Whole lot of controversy here just for wanting a book

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.