Mountain Project Logo

American Alpine Institute's "Learning to Lead - Trad Rock Climbing Leadership" Course

Original Post
Jacob Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hi All

Has anyone here taken AAI's trad leading course? It's kinda pricey, but four days of instruction seems like it would build a good foundation. If there is anyone who has taken it on the board, I'd appreciate a since of what you learned and what kind of climbing you felt confident taking on afterwards.

Adrienne Vought · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Hi Jacob!
I have not personally taken the AAI learn to lead course, so I cannot speak to that  organization specifically. But I did take a course similar from Colorado Mtn Guides. It wasn’t particularly cheap (and always tip your guide!), but I felt the qualified professional instruction was HUGELY valuable to my development as a trad climber. I would highly recommend seeking out an AMGA guide if you are looking to build skills and confidence. 

Mark B · · Memphis · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 2

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I have taken several day-long gym to crag courses, including aspects of ropecraft, belaying, rappelling, setting up anchors, etc. These classes are not cheap, but I figure it is my hide on the line, so totally worth it. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "American Alpine Institute's "Learning to Lead -…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started