Mountain Project Logo

Can someone please open a gym in Johnson City????

Original Post
Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041

I, like most, don‘t have the time, money, or dedication to do this; but I’m still gonna ask!  Other than my seasons in Wyoming and North Carolina, I’ve lived most of my life near JC and just landed a full time job here, so I‘ll be around for a while.  Folks don‘t realize the goldmine of a location JC is in for a climbing boom.  It’s central location in the south is amazing.  Rocky Fork: 30 min, Hidden Valley: 55 min, Guest River Gorge: 1.25 hr, Ship Rock: 1 hr, Linville: 1.5 hr, Rumbling Bald: 1.5 hr, Brevard area: 1.5 hr, Red River Gorge: 4 hr, New River Gorge: 3 hr, Obed: 3 hr, Chatt: 3.5 hour.  

Also, if you live in the area, and we haven’t climbed, HMU!  Cheers.

Rick Carpenter · · Marion, NC · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,315
Dan Daugherty wrote:

I think your post pretty well explains why a climbing gym isn't needed there. If I had that much climbing that close to me, you'd never see me in a gym.

Close? That is FAR af to drive for climbing

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041
Dan Daugherty wrote:

I think your post pretty well explains why a climbing gym isn't needed there. If I had that much climbing that close to me, you'd never see me in a gym.

I never said one was needed.  Personally, I just want one in the area.  I know it probably won‘t happen but just wanted to bring it up.  I think it would help the community though.

Doug Chism · · Arlington VA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 45
Curtis Baird wrote:

I never said one was needed.  Personally, I just want one in the area.  I know it probably won‘t happen but just wanted to bring it up.  I think it would help the community though.

The closest sport climbing for me is 3 hours, if I could climb at hidden valley in less than an hour I’d never go to the gym. 

mike h · · Front Range, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 24
Dan Daugherty wrote:

This is why there are no successful gyms in the CO front range or SLC.

Jeff Mekolites · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5,250

Yeah, we have some good friends who just recently moved (back) to JC.  There's def a lot around there.  We've been up a few times this summer to visit (and climb!)  Hope to see ya out around there sometime.  I like that little taco spot in town also.  

Amanda Smith · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 853

You're totally right. A gym in JC would do well, the area is growing rapidly and the ecotourism economy in the surrounding areas has experienced tremendous growth as well. Typically someone with a lot of capital would invest in a gym. You might start asking around at business meet and greet-type meetings. I grew up near there and when I first learned about indoor climbing, I spent hours trying to find a gym. The closest one was three hours away. I def would have gotten into climbing much sooner if I had better access. 

Paul Coakley · · KY · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

By comparison, we have a really nice gym in Lexington KY. RRG is just under an hour away. The gym does well with locals. It also sees a certain amount of business from visiting climbers that are experiencing bad weather.

Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 415
Doug Chism wrote:

The closest sport climbing for me is 3 hours, if I could climb at hidden valley in less than an hour I’d never go to the gym. 

It is the south and it rains quite a bit. On another note, Johnson City is pretty central - you get the best of both worlds and quick access to both Southern and Northern Pisgah, High Country Crags, Cashiers, etc. I enjoy living in Boone because there's a shit load of crags that are all within 30min (including approach) but I do with it was closer to Cashiers and Southern Pisgah. Being able to leave work at 5pm and being racked up and climbing by 5:30 at Ship is pretty rad though. 

Rob D · · Queens, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30
Dan Daugherty wrote:

Yeah that's a good point.  It's why places like Lexington, Boulder, Denver, Lander, Chatt, barcelona, paris, and many places with nearby climbing destinations are known to be vacant of climbing gyms. 

Matt S · · Colorado Springs · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 132
Rob D wrote:

Yeah that's a good point.  It's why places like Lexington, Boulder, Denver, Lander, Chatt, barcelona, paris, and many places with nearby climbing destinations are known to be vacant of climbing gyms. 

Uhhh Boulder, Denver, Chatt and Lexington all have gyms. Denver/Boulder metro has like nearly two dozen climbing gyms and hosts the largest in the US. Pre-COVID the gyms were regularly packed with gym climbers, weekend warriors, and folks that want to get stronger to project outside.  

I do think JC would be a great place for a gym. I used to live in Knoxville and Lexington, both have great climbing nearby and successful gyms. JC being a college town would probably help too. 

My sarcastic response did point out the giant error in your theory (even if I was being a smartass).  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a city near good climbing that doesn't have at least one gym, if not multiple.  My point was that you posted something as fact without thinking about whether you were right or not. 

JC would be a great place for a gym.  Strong local community, strong climbers, growing city that's reaping some of the benefits of tech having a presence in the southeast (which brings in young people), and with the recent exodus from northern cities I've seen quite a few climbers from up here heading down to live in Chatt, JC, Lexington, etc.   If the argument for why a gym doesn't exist is that there is no need for it because of outdoor climbing, that would absolutely be the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. 

Even considering nearby cities of similar size, Boone which is about 1/3 the population has a gym (they benefit from the uni though) and asheville NC has two (slightly bigger city).  Chattannooga is obviously quite a bit bigger but their climbing gyms don't seem to struggle because of the proximity of good climbing.  Chattanooga has basically year round climbing and have managed to have great gyms.  

Matt S · · Colorado Springs · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 132

Whoops, my bad Rob. We're on the same page! 

Sean Cobourn · · Gramling, SC · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 3,562

Lots of caving near JC too.....

Joshua McDaniel · · Fayetteville, NC · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 170
Rob D wrote:

Chattannooga is obviously quite a bit bigger but their climbing gyms don't seem to struggle because of the proximity of good climbing. 

Chattanooga has about 3x the population of Johnson city.  But if you look at the greater surrounding areas of Johnson City vs Chattanooga, they're actually really close:

Tri-Cities Region (formerly Tri-Cities Metropolitan Statistical Area) = 480-500,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Tennessee

Chattanooga Metropolitan Statistical Area =  520,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga_metropolitan_area

Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 415

I would drive from Boone to JC at least once a week if they had a nice gym with rope climbing. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Can someone please open a gym in Johnson City????"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started