Mountain Project Logo

Lost Arrow Spire Rebolting

Original Post
Ryan Jenks · · Lodi, CA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Leave Less Trace. Spire tip is way cleaner now. Thank you to the team that worked so hard to make this happen!

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

Cool video, really interested to see the whole process and thinking.

My uninformed question is why remove all of those wedge studs that looked good? Seems like they pulled easily (not sure why), but was there anything indicating that they needed removal? Seems like adding hangers would be the easiest option instead of replacing with glue-ins.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Big Red wrote:

Cool video, really interested to see the whole process and thinking.

My uninformed question is why remove all of those wedge studs that looked good? Seems like they pulled easily (not sure why), but was there anything indicating that they needed removal? Seems like adding hangers would be the easiest option instead of replacing with glue-ins.

No need to have a dozen bolts littering the top when a few thoughtfully placed glue ins will work much better and last our lifetime.  The summit looked like a pin cushion prior to Ryans work.  

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

No need to have a dozen bolts littering the top when a few thoughtfully placed glue ins will work much better and last our lifetime.  The summit looked like a pin cushion prior to Ryans work.  

Right, but I'm wondering why not keep 2 of the existing studs and pull the rest? Is their sub-optimal placement the main reason?

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Big Red wrote:

Right, but I'm wondering why not keep 2 of the existing studs and pull the rest? Is their sub-optimal placement the main reason?

I don't know.   Personally I would have left one of the oldest for pure historical reasons.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Big Red wrote:

Multiple reasons which Ryan touches on.  Not best location.  Bare Hangers not ideal for high line rigs (and are more prone to accumulate tat). Consistent hardware at all anchor locations.  I sorta get the affinity for an old Leeper for history but I long got over that.  After seeing a few in the wild they became fixed trash to me for the most part.  

Mark S Warren · · Bend, OR · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Thanks for the video! Can't wait to watch this after work.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Lost Arrow Spire Rebolting"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started