Mountain Project Logo

Stoney Point Graffiti Cover-Up

Original Post
Mike Stephan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 1,188

Someone added this shit to a nice boulder north of B1 yesterday. I’d like to cover it up with brown paint as has been done on many other boulders at Stoney. If anyone has recommendations on what type/color of paint to use or can put me in touch with whoever does the other cover-up painting at the park, I’d be very appreciative. 

Thanks.

null

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Dont give the bastards a blank canvass!

Matt Schick · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 33

This doesn't really answer your question, but...

I've seen folks who run the Allied Climbers of San Diego use some stuff called "Elephant Snot" for doing removal - they might be able to give you some pointers. It came out looking nice and paint free in the end.

Hunky Tony · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 12

I'd honestly leave it alone (annoying/an eye sore, I know). 

The paint will actually wear off from traffic and the sun will fade it out within a year or two. Painting over it is a huge no-no. It honestly just makes the rock slippery and can sometimes look worse than the graffiti and very obvious it's a painted rock. Use the "art" as reference points... pretty sure that's how Turlock and the Jesus Wall got named haha.

If you paint it (I'd advised against), use watered down paint and a garden sprayer. Take the time to get a good, natural color match. Be prepared to come back to more graffiti after you covered it up. 

Edit* I'm not 100% about what the CAC used so I removed that comment

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 4,402

the SoCal Canyoneering group had previously covered graffiti at Stoney with Kover Kote.  they regularly instruct and practice canyon techniques there.  Danielle was the lead organizer for that big clean-up effort before.  the e-flyer for that has her e-mail that prob still works

Hunky Tony · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 12
Sean wrote:

the SoCal Canyoneering group had previously covered graffiti at Stoney with a cement mixture.  Danielle was the lead organizer for that.  the e-flyer for that has her e-mail that prob still works

Didn't they use KoverKote? I heard they used that with concrete powder mixed with water and sand. I wasn't able to attend that cleanup, but I think it went well.

Edit * Didn't read your comment properly, which already had the answer to my question. I need more coffee!
Edit 2 * I did read correctly... haha. Nice.

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 4,402

yes, updated to reflect that.  seemed like it went over well with most, despite a dissenting unsatisfactory mark given here and there

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Miguel Castro · · socal · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 25

Please dont paint over it, like others have said in this thread this will only encourage other people to paint it again. Back wall doesnt even look like real rock anymore from all the layers of graffitti buff over the years

Maidy Vasquez · · Bishop, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 372

2Cents from someone who did a lot of graffiti removal at Stoney.  Its a loosing battle.

1st off- it's best to ignore new graffiti for a season or two- the kids check on it and if it gets covered immediately- they retaliate with something twice a as big. 

Paint overs are a bad idea- they look bad and make the surfaces slippery. .  Never do it on an actual climb. I've seen some covers done with watered down paint in a garden sprayer in small less obvious areas that doesn't look too horrid- but its not ideal. 

Sun and foot traffic actually works pretty well for fading a lot of the paint if left alone.

Chemical removers are very problematic at Stoney.  You need to haul in a LOT of water to rinse surfaces since they burn skin and there is so much traffic there.  The rinsing is toxic to any plants at the base so it is not advised . It's also a lot of time and money that will likely get repainted within a year. 

My fast, cheap and easy tact was to simply paint over with watered down Elmers or other non- toxic water-soluable glue and toss dirt on it. It wears off but tends to take some paint with it.  Again- not practical on established climbs or large areas. 

Im not familiar with Kover Kote- but it sounds like a more permanent version of the same idea. Its probably the best compromise for a place like Stoney.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,617

You try contacting the 12th District: https://cd12.org/chatsworth

It's been a long time since I worked with them but they supplied us with resources to cover up the graffiti about 15 years ago. It may be worth a shot.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Stoney Point Graffiti Cover-Up"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.