Mountain Project Logo

San Diego County Guidebook?

Gumby boy king · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 547
Jev K wrote:

Looking forward to your book as well, Hubbard.

My biggest issue right now as a new climber is going to Mission George for example, spending 1 hour looking for the climb that is our level and then figuring out how to traverse to the top to set up a TR. I don't feel too comfortable leading especially there right now. In about 3-4 hours we get a few climbs on two routes usually only. But I guess that's part of the fun and exploration aspect of it. MP just gets you the name and general location and the pics are ehh.

If you can't find a route at mission gorge....

Matt Schick · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 33

Hubbard,

Very much looking forward to the book and all it's weird and wonderful drawings.

Jev K · · SoCal · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 0
Gumby boy king wrote:

If you can't find a route at mission gorge....

Some routes yah I have no idea. Mission george is the first place I've climbed outdoors and figured most things out on my own. 

Matt Schick · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 33

My only advice, from one newb to another, is to pick out one identifying feature in a hand-drawn topo or photo, and then look for that.  Once you have that solid reference of "I 100% know this thing I'm standing infront of is what I'm seeing in the topo",  then you can work your way left and right.

It's so easy to look at the topo and look at the pile of rocks in front of you and just see nothing at all....but when I'm looking for one specific thing, it comes much easier.   The "skyline pinnacle" at Mission Gorge is good example.  It's drawn super clear on Hubbard's topo.

David Katz · · Calabasas, CA · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 835

Is this what you are looking for?

Joe Frazer · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 16

Hubbard, 

I look forward to this book whenever you publish. I have been using your website and the second edition of the County Guidebook religiously for 3 years since I began climbing. It has kept me away from the crowds many times and given me just enough information to make my own adventure. You have inspired me and I hope to see you out on the rock someday. Thank you!

James Matecki · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0
Hubbard wrote: I have been working on a book for years now. Nothing is easy and producing something new and interesting is a major task in a place like San Diego all spread out as it is. Instead of one crag that a person can take a photo of and exploit, there are dozens of venues each with its own user group and specific issues. I am getting close however and may manage to publish for the upcoming winter season but don't hold your breath. I am not doing it to make money, I have a decent job for that, so there is no pressure on me. I am doing it because I like to draw rocks. Over time the drawings pile up and need a home. I am not interested in all my drawings going to some other person like T Slater who reached out to me to publish and exploit. He doesn't even live or climb around here. I don't continue working with people who take my work and change captions on cartoons or change route names to satisfy their own jealousies or take shots at people they don't like. Dave K did these things and I did not appreciate it. In a reactionary move I made a website to clarify how I present my own material. Climbing and everything surrounding it should be fun. I am really enjoying the process of the last several years getting my material updated and improved and adding new stuff. San Diego deserves a new book and it shall have one produced by me. If somebody else does their own book that is great. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned. I think MP has taken the wind out of a lot of people's sails. The sheer difficulty of mapping and knowing what to map and even where these places are is also a problem for budding book makers. This project works for me because I am almost sixty years old and have climbed in all the SD venues and know many of the first ascent climbers and have been recording what people have been doing for years. Nothing can replace that except time and who has that? Covid shutdown gave me a solid month to dig in deep. Without the shutdown time, my book would be years away. Now however I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have my foot on the accelerator. The bugs are bouncing off my wind shield. This project is going down.

Hey Hubbard, I just moved to the area a couple of months ago and am very excited for this winter season. Thank you in advance for you service to the community, any chance you have an update for when you will release the new book? Bookmarking stuff on MP just isn't the same as a post-it note..

Kurt Klassen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 11

Chris Hubbard,

I'm looking forward to your new book! I realize it is a massive and tedious task. Nothing worth doing is easy and I am amazed by guide-book makers' ability to grind out the content.

Off White · · Tenino, WA · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 300
David Katz wrote:

Is this what you are looking for?

Hah, you've got one of those? There were only 400 ever printed. I'll see that and raise you a Scumbag Digest, the erstwhile progenitor to that project!   

Drew Alldredge · · Coronado, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Adam Burch wrote:

I'm heading over to South Woodsen in a few days to take a few more shots to wrap up my guide for that region.  I've made so much money this year I want to vomit so I'm not doing the guide for profit.  Literally vomit.    I'm debating which way or ways to release it for use.  I'm definitely making one paper copy and hiding it somewhere on the grounds at Seaworld.  I'll probably do a couple electronic versions, in multiple languages, and release them on a series of instagram stories that you'll have to screenshot and compile.  Don't question my motivation, and don't question my commitment to the ramble and the guide.  One thing I can guarantee is that each climb will have a detailed history of all the people who have FA'd the route over the years.

Serial shit poster suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) needing to hit the beehive for temporary relief from being a, dull as shit loaf of Wonder Bread.  You need help.

Tradiban · · 951-527-7959 · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 212
Drew Alldredge wrote:

Serial shit poster suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) needing to hit the beehive for temporary relief from being a, dull as shit loaf of Wonder Bread.  You need help.

I think this is precisely the response he was looking for and reflects more upon your character than his. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Drew Alldredge wrote:

Not really. He's looking to devide up teams on these threads like children do on a playground and then take down his target. His intentions are NOT good. He's done it for years and years across multiple sites. Out of the kindness of my heart I have become his personal echo for life.  If he could manage to just post normal sarcastic and or snippy shit like you I'd have no reflexive response because that's to be expected on forums like this.  

Also, I guarantee this is not the response he's looking for.

Seems to be working, eh?

Well! Looks like we found the Thanksgiving turkey!

Drew Alldredge · · Coronado, CA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "San Diego County Guidebook?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started